A reminder for the ladies!

Options
lina1131
lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
I put this on my status update but i'm going to make a post too.

If you have not had your annual exam (and you know what I mean) call and schedule it right now. It is not worth your life to be lazy or embarrassed or whyever the hell you haven't called yet.

CALL. DO IT NOW.

I Lost an internet friend 2 days ago because of cervical cancer. She was young and leaves behind a 3 and 4 year old daughter and her husband.

Do what you have to do to get checked every year and do not ignore. It is not worth your life.

Replies

• oregonlady
    oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    agree 100%%
    insurance prevents many people, but there r clinics!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Wow. So sorry for the loss of your friend.
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I am a firm believer in annual exams. This past year in fact showed me how important they are. I had blood in my stool, in 5 different tests. Even though I was only 47 years old, the doctor ordered a colonoscopy. I had the procedure done and they found precancerous cells in a very small polyps and removed it. The doctor said had I waited 3 years, it would have been full blown cancer. So please don't wait to go in for your yearly check up, mammogram, colonoscopy, that includes men too.
  • lina1131
    Options
    My mom had ovarian cancer 10 years ago. Had she ignored her exam, they would have never caught it and I would not have my mom with me today.

It is very important ladies. This is your life. a 20 minute check is worth it. Go do it.
  • maryann73
    maryann73 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the loss of your friend. I feel like you wrote this for me. The Dr.'s office has changed my appt. TWICE. I was just thinking "I do this every year. I can miss this year." I'll call the Dr. today. Thank you.
  • Tashia_HH
    Tashia_HH Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Agree 100%. My mom died 4 years ago from cervical cancer because she hadn't had an examination in at 10 years. Every woman needs to be checked out!!!
  • russ1220
    russ1220 Posts: 58
    Options
    Sorry for your lost! This is very important some times we take life for granted.

Thanks
  • dcruzz
    dcruzz Posts: 12
    Options
    SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS :cry: I LOST MY GRANDMA 4 YEARS AGO AND I MISS HER SO MUCH, CANCER IS SAD :brokenheart:
  • StaceG1986
    StaceG1986 Posts: 350
    Options
    I agree it is very important, but here in the UK women can't have one on the NHS (National Health Service) until they are 25, and I'm only 23 :( And missed the last call up before they changed it...

I do urge everyone to have it done if you can though!!!! It could save your life!!
  • lina1131
    Options
    Sorry for the loss of your friend. I feel like you wrote this for me. The Dr.'s office has changed my appt. TWICE. I was just thinking "I do this every year. I can miss this year." I'll call the Dr. today. Thank you.

I am glad that this post pushed you to call. :heart:
  • iwannawearatutu
    iwannawearatutu Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for this reminder, I do my best to stay on top of it, but my clinic of the past 10+ years closed a few months ago and I've been very lazy finding a new one. I'm not do for my annual for several months, but given that I've had two abnormal paps (and I'm only 28!) I need to be vigilant.

Also, if you are at all able to get the HPV vaccination, DO IT. Trust me, you may think there is no way you'll ever get it, but I know from experience it's better safe than sorry. Sorry if that's TMI but I feel strongly about this... HPV can increase your changes for cervical cancer (as well as other types, I think... not sure). And you can have it and never show symptoms. Even in a committed relationship, the unexpected can happen.

So sorry to hear about your loss, Lina. I cannot commend you enough for using this sorrowful event as a helpful reminder for the rest of us. That shows so much courage and strength.
  • lina1131
    Options
    Thanks so much for this reminder, I do my best to stay on top of it, but my clinic of the past 10+ years closed a few months ago and I've been very lazy finding a new one. I'm not do for my annual for several months, but given that I've had two abnormal paps (and I'm only 28!) I need to be vigilant.

Also, if you are at all able to get the HPV vaccination, DO IT. Trust me, you may think there is no way you'll ever get it, but I know from experience it's better safe than sorry. Sorry if that's TMI but I feel strongly about this... HPV can increase your changes for cervical cancer (as well as other types, I think... not sure). And you can have it and never show symptoms. Even in a committed relationship, the unexpected can happen.

So sorry to hear about your loss, Lina. I cannot commend you enough for using this sorrowful event as a helpful reminder for the rest of us. That shows so much courage and strength.

:heart: :heart: :heart:
  • edinbors
    edinbors Posts: 112
    Options
    I agree! I have had to get abnormal cells burned off several times because it was caught early. I know someone who had cervical cancer as well. So worth being unomfortable for 5 minutes than to lose the rest of your life!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Since I am a life long high risk person I am vigilant on this issue. Get your mammogram and your general health screenings too!

One other exam you should consider as you reach the upper 40's is a full skin exam by a dermatologist, especially if you are fair skinned. My brother has been a health nut from day 1... always ate right, never drank or smoked, does all sorts of sports, and has never been so much as an ounce over weight. He was diagnosed with stage IV malignant melanoma with multiple tumors (9) in his brain and body. No clue as to where stage I-III were or when it started. If he had been a little more preventative oriented and seen the doctore more often it may have been caught. He is only 58, and may not see 59.

A simple exam is not hard or take much time and it can prevent so much.