need new breakfast ideas!

Options
:smile: Hey! I was wondering if anyone knew of any good easy and quick breakfast ideas. I'm trying to make that meal as healthy as possible so I have been eating a bowl of total cereal with milk and a mixture of fresh fruits on top. Don't get me wrong...I love that breakfast but I've sort of turned into a creature of habit. Anyways, anyone have any healthy favs? Thank you so much!

Replies

• goal30Lori
    goal30Lori Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I LOVE breakfast and rotate through quite a few things, such as:

Yogurt, granola & Berries
    Egg white, ham, mushroom, green onions omelette
    Egg white, onion and green pepper on english muffin or low cal bagel
    Egg white, small amount of cheese, and salsa in a tortilla
    Oatmeal with a little whole milk and a little brown sugar.

All of these are roughly 200-350 cals!!
  • halfpint71
    halfpint71 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have been eating Chobani plain fat free yogurt with fresh Strawberries. Lots of protein keeps me full til lunch.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Oatmeal with fruit is quick and easy, and very filling. I am not much of a breakfast person, but studies show that people that eat breakfast tend to weigh less and are healthier, so on days when I don't feel like eating breakfast, I have these Carnation Instant Breakfast packs that you just dump in milk and drink. They are really yummy (and you can buy the kind that has no added sugar), quick, and good for people who get queasy eating breakfast in the morning (dunno if you have the problem, but I do). Also yummy/quick/healthy- vanilla yogurt with fruit and granola, scrambled eggs with green peppers.... hope some of those help!
  • lfcutie
    lfcutie Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I like the instant cream of wheat and i put sweetener and my fav is a tablespoon of vanilla creamer....since you make instant with water the creamer gives it a creamy rich flavor and it is sooo good:)
  • lindakp83
    lindakp83 Posts: 45
    Options
    For a quick breakfast I usually do a smoothie. I have not yet gotten sick of the berry/banana smoothie so that's the one I have mostly. I just have one small banana, mixed frozen berries (or fresh but they were bad this week), 3/4 c of plain yogurt, and 1/2 cup of orange juice (I am in love with Simply orange with pineapple). It is pretty quick and I usually quess on the amount of berries I throw in. I have one of those water bottles everyones carrying around these days and I put it in there and drink it on my way to work. Then I can rinse out my bottle and have a water bottle for the day. It's pretty low on calories so if you want something extra add some whey protien or something and it will fill you up longer. I don't eat a lot of meat so thats why I add that. Hope you try it.
  • raschan
    raschan Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey there! I am not a big cereal fan, but love french toast! I've switched to low G.I. Oats and Honey loaf (or brown seed loaf), I whip up two eggs, add some low fat milk, cinnamon and then toast them in my George Foreman Health Griller or in a pan with non-stick spray. It is great with Honey, or banana. Other mornings I fry some veg in the pan and make a low fat cheese omelette. For something different, you can cut up apple, put some cinnamon and brown sugar (or sweetener) on top, and put it in the microwave for about 1 minute. Scoop some yoghurt on top once it's warmed up. Hope it helps to make your mornings a bit more exiting! love, chantelle~
  • Will_Lift_4_Shoes
    Will_Lift_4_Shoes Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    one of my favorite breakfast/lunch/snacks is a whole wheat bagel with low fat or no fat cream cheese with a slice of tomato, avocado, and cheddar cheese popped under the broiler until the cheese is melted. A little salt and pepper makes the whole sandwich just perfect.
  • guitargirl53
    Options
    Thank you all! I am writing them all down to get the ingredients and try! They sound awesome!:smile:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    try kashi golean cereals. They are chocked full of protein and fiber :)
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above!

Good protein in the morning will hold you longer. Check out egg mug and other breakfast recipes at : www.hungry-girl.com
    They are quick and easy in the microwave!

I also like the Van's 97% lite waffles - I use blueberries and sugar free syrup with them.
  • cjjohnson
    cjjohnson Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I love good old 1-minute oatmeal made with water and a splash of vanilla, non-fat milk and a tsp. of sugar/ splenda (optional). And anything else you would like to add. Calories are about the same, plus i heard oatmeal is a great metabolism booster. It definitely helps me feel fuller longer.
  • sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My favourite is peanut butter (the good stuff with no added anything) on oatcakes, with some fruit on top – apple or berries and grapes are good. Tasty, quick, easy, filling, and lower in sugar than a lot of cereals!
  • kathammond
    Options
    Heritage multi-grain flakes are awesome and hold up well in milk. But my new favorite thing is almond "milk" which has a fraction of the calories milk has (40 for a half cup of the original, unsweetened kind) and tastes even better. Topped with a fresh peach or a half cup of berries, this is a delicious, quick and low-cal breakfast!
  • theatremack
    Options
    I like to have an egg white omelette in the morning, but don't always have time to cook it on the stove - so I found if you put a little cooking spray in a good sized coffee mug and then through anything you want into it with the egg white and stir a little then pop it in the microwave to a minute at a time - usually takes 2 - 3 minutes, it is a quick way to make a good omelette with easy clean up.
  • Christie23
    Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Eggo NutriGrain Low Fat Waffles are pretty delicious. I use Earth balance spread on them and a touch of Lite Syrup or some all-fruit spread. For a protein boost, you can even use some reduced fat peanut butter.

I like to go to the gym in the mornings, so I like a quick breakfast before I head out... I have a Kashi GoLean bar (so yummy, in every possible flavor!), a double serving of Del Monte Citrus Salad (pink grapefruit, white grapefruit and oranges - and my doctor told me that grapefruit is the only foods shown to actually increase your metabolism) and a small container of fat free Activia. With this breakfast, I find that when I DO hit the gym, I feel so strong and capable.

I was never really a breakfast person. But I realized how much better I feel when I consume the most calories there versus any other meal of the day. This is the time of day where you can push your calories more because you NEED them! And it truly sets the stage for the rest of the day being smooth and feeling great!
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Whey Protien-PB- Banana Smoothie

1 scoop Whey protien - 90 cal
    1 7" banana - 85 cal
    1 TBSP Peanut Butter - 95 cals
    1 cup milk - 90 cals

mix it up in a blender for 2 mins. has roughly 380 cals, and keeps me full till lunch! :)

Enjoy!
  • spilgrim23
    Options
    Visalus - Its GREAT! You can mix it with any kind of Juice or you can mix it with milk. Its wonderful! I replace my breakfast and dinner with it and its working wonderfully! Let me know if you are interested and I will get you some more info.

its only 170 calories - 2 scoops of vialus mix
    8 oz. of V8 splash lite berry blend
    1 of cup of frozen mixed fruit

throw it all in a blender and add ice if you want to make it thicker. It taste wonderful!!!
  • jackiehutnik
    Options
    These are all great ideas! I normally do an english muffin and half a banana. And then other times I will make 2 egg white, turkey sausage pattie, and and english muffin with a sprinkle of cheese...just like an egg mcmuffin!
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I made these this morning and they turned out really good. The recipe is for an individual serving, but you can increase it as needed. I made up a few and put them in the fridge for the rest of the week, so I can just microwave and eat.

1 serving Oreida O'Brien potatoes (cubed potatoes with peppers/onion) (60cal)
    1 Egg (70cal)
    1 slice pre-cooked bacon, chopped (68cal)
    1/8 cup of shredded cheese (55cal)

253 calories

This is the basic recipe, but I added some extra bell pepper and onion I had on hand. This is a pretty easy recipe to change up, you can use any type of potatoes, meat or veggies you have on hand. Also, the original recipe used egg subsitute.

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375. Brown potatoes in a skillet with cooking spray. Spoon potatoes into ramekin, top with chopped bacon. Scramble the egg and pour over potatoes and then cover with shredded cheese. Place ramekin on a cooking sheet and bake in the oven for 16-18 minutes or until eggs are done.
  • Bighank7752
    Options
    Try doing homemade fruit and protein shakes. easy to do and tasty. I make mine with frozen fruit and protein powder with a cup of milk.