Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

New here, trying to be healthier

Hi there, I’m recommitting to being healthier and trying to be at a healthier weight. I’ve done so many things in the past including Weight Watchers. Over the past five years my weight has ballooned up to 210 pounds. I’m very embarrassed and I can’t seem to get any headway on this journey. I know I can do it, but I’m trying to do it in a more sustainable fashion this time around. I would welcome Any advice for starting this journey again. I know what to eat and what not to eat, my biggest downfall is sweets!

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,774 Member
    Welcome!

Some people do best by eliminating sweets completely out of their diet, out of their house. Others try to find healthier substitutes, maybe sweets with lower calories (popsicles instead of ice cream) or using different ingredients when making them (skim milk instead of whole milk).

I personally ascribe to the portion control theory, where I intentionally set aside enough calories in my daily plan to allow for enjoying sweets guilt-free at the end of the day. I then split a treat into individual servings (say 2 cookies in a sandwich bag), and tell myself I get one serving per day to enjoy, but ONLY one.

Certain sweets are easier in this regard than others, like the cookie example above or allowing a soda but using only cans instead of pouring from a 2-liter and only putting one can in to chill at a time to reduce the temptation to come back for another. Ice cream, cake, pie, that type of stuff I did have to live without for a while until I had developed better self control with the easier-to-manage sweets, then I allowed the other sweets back into the house.