Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Alcohol is DEFINITELY Hindering Weight Loss

I quit drinking for about a week and noticed how much flatter my belly was and how much better I felt physically. It's hard to explain, but I felt much less bloated and squishy. I have fallen off the wagon but recognize I need to get started again.

My husband is giving up alcohol for 30 days and I feel guilty that I'm not being supportive by doing it with him.

Replies

• caitlinbgaribaldi1274
    caitlinbgaribaldi1274 Posts: 1 Member
    I gave up alcohol a little over a year ago, and all the weight I couldn’t get off finally just started melting away. Now I’ve lost 64 lbs in 56 weeks. Do it, girl. I promise you no one has ever regretted cutting out alcohol.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,886 Member
    Alcohol INHIBITS fat loss and when it's in your system, since it can't be stored in the body, you have to metabolize it. While this is happening, you BURN NO CARBS OR FATS until it's totally out of your system. The reason you may bloat while drinking alcohol is for this reason alone. Also DON'T try to drink alcohol at least a few hours before you sleep. You burn the most stored body fat sleeping, but if you have alcohol in your system before you go to bed, that ain't gonna happen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 40 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,106 Member
    I lost 50 pounds as a regular moderate drinker. The last 10 pounds were trickier with regular alcohol on the menu so I stopped drinking at home. Lost the 10 pounds and now just have the odd glass when eating out. Thought I would miss it but I don’t
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 449 Member
    I lost 50 pounds as a regular moderate drinker. The last 10 pounds were trickier with regular alcohol on the menu so I stopped drinking at home. Lost the 10 pounds and now just have the odd glass when eating out. Thought I would miss it but I don’t

I stopped drinking a week ago, and I can tell you I miss it! I'd love a bottle of wine right now. Fortunately there's none in the house.

I really commented because I wanted to tell you that I love your screen name!
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,106 Member

I stopped drinking a week ago, and I can tell you I miss it! I'd love a bottle of wine right now. Fortunately there's none in the house.

I really commented because I wanted to tell you that I love your screen name!

Thanks!
    I guess I missed it at first. It izz as hard giving up something you love.
  • SurferGirl1982
    SurferGirl1982 Posts: 177 Member
    edited July 30
    I'm currently trying to quit completely. My drinking patterns do vary. I sometimes go for months without drinking (my personal best was four months). At other times, I would drink 750 ml of whiskey a day.

In November of 2021, I had a major health scare. I woke up around midnight and was vomiting blood. My husband called an ambulance. I had esophageal varices (bleeding veins). I was in the ICU and had been drinking so heavily that I don't remember a lot. But I was actually hallucinating. After five days I was back home. And, I had no interest in drinking anymore. It was very scary.

Anyways, I didn't drink a drop for four months. During that time, I lost 30 lbs without even trying. I was somewhat mindful of my eating. But I wasn't logging or exercising. I felt so much better.

To make a long story short, I started drinking on and off again. When I was drinking regularly, I would gain weight. And when I wasn't drinking for a period of time, I would lose weight.

Drinking alcohol on a regular basis will definitely hinder weight loss or cause weight gain. This is just from my personal experience over the years.