Does anyone have a keto diet that is affordable?

I am going to attempt to start this Keto diet. Does anyone have any suggestions on food that is cheaper or affordable?

Answers

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,853 Member
    Welcome here.

What do you expect from a keto diet? Some people do feel full on it, however, others will gnaw their arm off as it's not sustainable. For weightloss, only calories count, regardless of the kind of food you eat.

• COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,331 Member
    I've never in my life planned a keto menu, but I would think that the less lean meat that's usually cheaper would be ideal for keto macros. Like 80/20 hamburger is usually significantly cheaper than 93/7, drumsticks are cheaper than chicken breast, that kind of thing.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 503 Member
    Buying whole chickens is the cheapest chicken.
    Learn to break it down into the different parts, and you can make broth from the rest.
    Focus your produce purchases on in-season items. They're always priced lower and taste better when in season.
    Cook beans from dry rather than canned.
    This short video shows you the best way to cook dry beans https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSbXHusX16g&t=4s
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    My big money saving suggestion is don't by pre-made "Keto" foods at the store. First, they are often not actually keto, but they know that a decent number of people want keto products so they label it that way. Second, they are generally highly processed which is generally not going to help. Third, and most important, they are expensive. Far more expensive than making your own food, so plan on making your own meals from basic ingredients. Keep the carbs below 30 grams per day.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,156 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    Welcome here.

What do you expect from a keto diet? Some people do feel full on it, however, others will gnaw their arm off as it's not sustainable. For weightloss, only calories count, regardless of the kind of food you eat.

Calories are units of heat and are not eatable. It's food that has mass and nutrients that effect our metabolism and not units of heat (calories) and the keto diet is just one diet strategy of many that can elicit weight loss or gain depending on how you approach it, just like any other diet. Oh, and not some people, but almost all people find it so satiating that weight loss is pretty much a given and the hundreds of RCT's will bare this fact out repeatedly and gaining weight on a keto is extremely problematic for most people.

Anyway, the keto diet is not for the faint of heart, it takes commitment and most that are successful are the ones that found keto through trial and error to help with their health issues where everything else failed, otherwise it's pretty much a given that success is very low because yummy food are off limits (UPF) and that's a tough one, no doubt about it. :)
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,949 Member
    Buying in bulk is always budget friendly.
    If you have freezer space, consider checking out what’s for sale at a restaurant supply store if you have one available. Here in the Pacific Northwest we have a chain called Chef’s Supply. They’re not limited to the service industry. Anyone can shop there.

Prices for meat and cheese absolutely can’t be beat at a restaurant supply store.