200 BPM, should I be worried?

rozojc
rozojc Posts: 35 Member
Hi. Long story short: after s loooong several years of not doing much, I started working out again almost two months ago. I mainly do a daily 25 minute workout video (HIIT style, an old Jules Michaels one) plus donas much walking as I can (this varies s lot). The past three weeks there was a lot more walking than usual, about 12Km per day (bit less than 8 miles) .

Anyways, back to the question. I've never measured my heart rate while exercising. I was curious and used my smart watch which showed an average 146 during workout, with s maximum moment of 199... I remembered reading the basic rule of thumb is that max heart rate is 220 - age (43 in my case) and now I'm wondering if anything is wrong with me or if I should be careful and am over exercising (I don't feel like I am...)

Thoughts?

Context: male, 43, very overweight (178cm with about 94Kg although I may have lost one or two in the past couple of weeks)...

Answers

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,731 Member
    1- Watches can be very inaccurate when it comes to heart rate. The best way to know for sure is a chest strap, however, for most people it isn't really essential to know your exact HR. Perceived exertion (how hard does it feel) is sufficient for most.
    2 - The formula of 220 - age is an average, which doesn't apply to a lot of people. I am 67 and my maximum is at least 185, according to my Garmin.
    3 - Exercise is still pretty new for you and you are overweight, so your HR is going to be higher than it will be when you are more fit. AS you get more fit, it should go down. The purpose of HIIT training is to improve your ability to utilize oxygen. OTOH, that doesn't work for everyone. Some of us have HRs that stay high, even when fit.

How does it feel when you are exercising? Do you feel like you are pushing too hard? Can you breathe and talk? Does it wipe you out for the rest of the day? If not, I wouldn't worry too much about it. OTOH, it wouldn't hurt to get a doctor's approval to exercise. As to whether it's too much, are you happy with the amount of time and energy you are putting into your exercise? Is it sustainable long term? If not, you might want to reconsider since you risk regaining the weight once you stop exercising.
  • rozojc
    Well, short version: I really don't feel like I am over exercising. Sure, I'm tired at the end of the workout and sometimes my legs and/or arms are s bit sore through the day, but not that it makes my day harder.

During the workout there are moments where I feel the stress, but again, not like I'm going to faint...

As to sustainability, I think it is. At least tondo one every two days. It's at home and it doesn't require much other than dumbbells. I was even able to do it almost every days during a three week vacation to Spain ;)
  • rozojc
    edited July 25
    To give s bit more info. When I say that I feel the stress during parts if the workout, I mean in the high intensity cardio exercises sometimes I'm like "oh I hope it's about to finish this interval", but not like not being able to breath or anything. Usually it's timed to when Jillien Michaels is saying "I want you to feel like your going to die" 😂(30 days shred video series).

Also, Info think the smart watch in this case is reliable, st least as per what I can find online about it: https://www.reddit.com/r/FossilHybrids/s/qYchrRVuPd

Anyway, I so appreciate any feedback!
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,726 Member
    Doesn't matter what the brand is, optical sensors aren't as reliable as a HR strap. Optical sensors are sensitive to skin color, hair, movement...
    I would borrow a strap from someone to compare.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,853 Member
    Optical HR sensor are only kind of accurate if: your skin is as white and thin as possible. You have no bodyhair there, not too much fat. And the watch is not too tight or too lose. Add poor circulation or cold weather to the mix that makes those imprecise as well. Wearing an optical sensor further up on the arm is already an improvement, but I'd not trust them too much. Plus Garmin did some odd firmware upgrades to the HR sensor that gives it a problematic behaviour at times: sharp shoots upwards, then equally sharp down again. Or not going up at all, or not down.
  • rozojc
    Thanks. I'll see if I can get my hands on a strap and compare.

It feels odd as I feel kind of worried now, but at the same time I don't actually feel bad during or after exercising so I don't know if I am over worrying 🤷 Can't stop thinking 200 sounds way too high 😐
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,187 Member
    I used to get close to 200 when at Orange Theory and while at optimal health / weight. My doctor wasn’t concerned. I was basically sprinting uphill.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 507 Member
    rozojc wrote: »
    Thanks. I'll see if I can get my hands on a strap and compare.

It feels odd as I feel kind of worried now, but at the same time I don't actually feel bad during or after exercising so I don't know if I am over worrying 🤷 Can't stop thinking 200 sounds way too high 😐

200 is not way too high. It is high, but not crazy. I’m 42m and hit 200-210 with a chest strap at times. I’m also a former endurance athlete (emphasis on former)…. Some people naturally have a higher max.

If the HR is accurate, You likely also have a low resting HR and I’d guess it comes down quicker than most when high.