(Weight loss) Keep it simple

Dan__Cote
Dan__Cote Posts: 44 Member
edited July 26 in Health and Weight Loss
There is a lot of very believable sudo-scientific BS all throughout the fitness and diet industry. I’m going to catch a lot of flak for this article. This is MY EXPERIENCE AND OPINIONS. MINE! I’ll keep it as simple as possible. This article is not intended for real athletes. Just your everyday people trying their best to lose weight.

*Weight loss-what to expect-what actually works*

Accuracy is required. Guessing is for suckers. Know your BMR. It changes often, so keep track. Literally just eat your BMR. Your BMR is the amount of calories it takes to sustain you. If you were comatose, your BMR is what your body would require to maintain. That means, any calories you burn are going towards a deficit (weight loss). Crazy simple. If your BMR is 1500 calories, guess what? Your goal is 1500 calories. Carbs, Fats, Protein? Doesn’t matter much. My general rule is .8g of protein for every LB. If you’re fatter than most, obviously you don’t need THAT much protein. You’ll end up with way more protein than you need. Fats and carbs simply make up the rest of your calorie requirements. Keto sucks and is unmanageable/ unrealistic for long term. Carbs are amazing. You could literally eat 1500 calories of twinkies and little debby foods exclusively and lose weight. I’m not recommending it, but it will work. “ But Dude, what kind of exercise should I be doing?” IT DOESN’T MATTER!!!!!!!! Do what you enjoy. Keep your body moving. That’s the most important thing. To make this diet ultra successful, do it 5 days a week, and take the weekend off. I’m not saying eat like a pig and drink a bottle of wine on your off days. Be conscious of what you put in your mouth but relax a little. Eat an extra 200-400 calories if you want. You’ll be okay. It will keep you sane during your weight loss and will keep you motivated. 5 steps forward, 2 steps back. Add that up over the year and you got yourself a *kitten*-ton of steps forward.

*Recovery*
Listen to your body. If you need to take a few days away from exercising, do it. Keep your diet going though. You’ll still lose weight. For God’s sake get some sleep. Turn off your phone. TicToc will still be there in the morning. Prioritize sleep. You’ll feel like dog *kitten* if you don’t, and your hormones will be all out of whack. Just go to bed.

*Will power*
The determining factor of success or failure. Do you really want to look good naked, or do you really want that extra 500 calories of BS? The decision is yours. It’s not a glandular problem. It’s a will power problem.

*Maintain*
BMR+ burned calories= Daily caloric intake. Boom!

There you have it folks. Keep It Simple. (mic drop).

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,737 Member
    *Maintain*
    BMR+ burned calories= Daily caloric intake. Boom!

Good points. Basically, yes. A bit oversimplified, sure.

I do, however, disagree about willpower. None of us have Will Tennyson Willpower. I've generally relied more on routine than willpower. I eat lower calorie density foods so I'm full and not fighting with willpower. I don't keep favorite junk foods in the house, so I'm not fighting with willpower.

You're absolutely right though, in that people tend to buy into overcomplicated pseudoscience and try to avoid what they really need to do.