Chinese Food

Options
I promised my son we would eat at a Chinese buffet he loves on Friday. Any suggestions on what to eat that is on the healthier side and that id gluten free if possible. Chicken and broccoli comes to mind but I don't know...I always went at the buffet with no restraints.

Replies

• Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Soon2Bfitmamaof3 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I am dreading the buffet too, my kids love to pick and choose all of the foods. I would say stick to simple things like chicken sticks, chicken and vegetable dishes as well as beef and vegetable dishes. Stay away from the egg rolls and sweet and sour sauce for sure. Sometimes they have steamed veggies you can add to the wonton soup broth.
  • mskimberlee
    mskimberlee Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    War won ton soup. It has lots of vegetables, some chicken, shrimp and wontons. I give the wontons to my children. It's yummy and feels me up. It comes in a huge bowl, I'm not sure how many calories it has maybe they would know. But, it can't be to bad it's soup with a broth base! Good luck and enjoy!!!
  • Heidi1987
    Heidi1987 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    dishes that have black bean sauce in are also have a lot less calories than others such as sweet and sour etc.
    Hope this is of some help
    :smile:
  • fishernd
    fishernd Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am dreading the buffet too, my kids love to pick and choose all of the foods. I would say stick to simple things like chicken sticks, chicken and vegetable dishes as well as beef and vegetable dishes. Stay away from the egg rolls and sweet and sour sauce for sure. Sometimes they have steamed veggies you can add to the wonton soup broth.

Pretty much everything you choose, ESPECIALLY any kind of soup, is going to be loaded with sodium. Avoid, at all costs, soy sauce, even the reduced sodium kind. Soy sauce is the champion of sodium-filled sauces!!! Sauces of any kind are going to be loaded with sodium. Unfortunately, if you want to eat healthy there your best bet is if they have veggies that are steamed and with no sauce. Chicken is good too, but not with breading or fried. Good luck!
  • Christie23
    Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Any seafood is usually steamed and pretty good for you... steamed white or brown rice... chicken or pork with broccoli or chinese vegetables usually isn't bad. Egg drop soup isn't too terrible... I try to avoid the fried foods, even the ones I LOVE, like an egg roll, and opt for a spring roll instead. The nice thing about a buffet is that it will allow you to nibble on some of the things you might crave without having full sized portions. The key is avoiding the sauces... they are packed with sugar and sodium.

Happy Buffeting!! :happy:
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Since it's a buffet you can pick and choose, so that's a good thing. Stick with steamed or stir fried veggies, stear clear of any frid meat, egg roll or crabmeat cheese...those will sink your ship! Limit your rice, if you have any at all and fill up on veggies. If there is anything with stir fried meats such as chicken or shrimp, enjoy some, but don't go over board.
    Ask if you can order the buffet, but then get dishes with no MSG, to sut down on sodium.
    Also, chug the water or hot tea if they offer it. Drink a cup of hot tea or water before your first plate of food and limit your buffet trips to only one!
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Chinese food is evil no getting around it. Drink a ton of water to flush out all that sodium cuz there is a ton.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Alrighty gf and chinese and healthy! here we go....The gluten is going to be the biggest problem.

Soy sauce has wheat in it unless you know for sure they use the tamari without wheat (like PF Chang's). I'm going to start carrying a bottle of gf tamari soy sauce with me when I go to chinese places or sushi so I can have the soy sauce. Yes I know it's salty, but you don't need a lot and it has a good flavor.

I go after the steamed chicken and veggies when I get chinese. Then steamed rice. I put a little soy sauce on my rice and I'm a happy camper. Usually there are crab legs.

Avoid the wontons, egg roll, crab rangoon, anything breaded, anything in a brown sauce - it's all wheat laden! No sickness for you! Or at least try to get as much of that sauce off of the food before you eat it to avoid being sick later.

Some places have sushi too that you could eat. Good luck!
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Anything without breading should be gluten free.
    My wife can't eat gluten and chinese food is always a good choice when eating out.
    And why would chinese food make you sick? It never has made us! The portions are large and cheap here so it's convenient to just get some chinese and eat that for the whole day when I don't have time to cook!
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Good luck, and remember, it is okay to treat yourself once in a while. One meal is not going to blow your whole way of life. Just eat in moderation as you have been doing, savour the flavour and know it is a treat, not an all the time thing!
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options

And why would chinese food make you sick?

The wheat in the soy sauce makes people who are gluten sensitive sick.

Like when I have regular fried rice I get ill. I have to make sure I have gf soy sauce so I don't get sick from it.
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options

And why would chinese food make you sick?

The wheat in the soy sauce makes people who are gluten sensitive sick.

Like when I have regular fried rice I get ill. I have to make sure I have gf soy sauce so I don't get sick from it.

Okay.
    My wife has celiac disease but she can eat normal soy sauce while even a drop of wheat in other products is enough to make the damage. I didn't even remember that there usually is wheat in soy sauce.

It is a weird thing and we have been wondering if there are different types of gluten around or if different processing mechanisms make the difference.