Lets talk DOMs.

yirara
yirara Posts: 9,853 Member
Just wanting to compare notes. Do your doms appear in the same general area at the same time or do they appear delayed? Like I did lots of squats three days ago. The same night my outer bum started to get severe doms, followed by the uppermost part. Then everything moved more towards the middle, and this is where I still feel them now, if not as bad as at the first location. There's one spot I never get them. Note: I do seem to have a congenital muscle condition that affects different muscles differently, even if they're neighbours. I guess I'm trying to find out whether doms and muscle health can be correlated as I guess I won't get a whole-body mri.

Replies

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,557 Member
    Yep. Mine do that too. When I do Bulgarian split squats I get the outer glute doms first then the hammies and finally the quads. Thinking about it, my lats and delts hurt together but it’s my legs which like to come in waves 🤣 I’ve never thought about it until you mentioned it though!
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,774 Member
    I've never really thought about it. I don't get DOMs often if I'm lifting regularly, and if I do it's probably 12-24 hours after.

Was that squats session unusual? Have you been lifting at normal schedule and volume, doing same movements as before, and still got DOMs that lasted three days after?
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,939 Member
    As long as I remain lifting regularly, I no longer get DOMS. But if I take an extended break, they come back for the first week or two of lifting. IIRC, my DOMS would start at my joints for the first day, before moving to the primary muscles on the second day, before subsiding. Always assumed it was just a symptom of being arthritic, a genetic predisposition from my mother I can look forward to, lol.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,133 Member
    I can set my watch to when DOMS will appear. 24 hours after the exercise that caused it.
  • yirara
    Yep. Mine do that too. When I do Bulgarian split squats I get the outer glute doms first then the hammies and finally the quads. Thinking about it, my lats and delts hurt together but it’s my legs which like to come in waves 🤣 I’ve never thought about it until you mentioned it though!

Cool! Yeah, I did feel the doms in my thighs as well, but a bit less well divided 🤣
  • yirara
    I've never really thought about it. I don't get DOMs often if I'm lifting regularly, and if I do it's probably 12-24 hours after.

Was that squats session unusual? Have you been lifting at normal schedule and volume, doing same movements as before, and still got DOMs that lasted three days after?

Nah, I mostly did upper body things to get my muscles back to where they were after a fracture far too long ago. So lower body was a bit neglected, and doms totally expected. At least I'm able to move again now 😅
  • yirara
    I can set my watch to when DOMS will appear. 24 hours after the exercise that caused it.

Wow, mine seem to appear about 6-8hrs after the fact, and the last muscles chime in some 48hrs later.
  • yirara
    nossmf wrote: »
    As long as I remain lifting regularly, I no longer get DOMS. But if I take an extended break, they come back for the first week or two of lifting. IIRC, my DOMS would start at my joints for the first day, before moving to the primary muscles on the second day, before subsiding. Always assumed it was just a symptom of being arthritic, a genetic predisposition from my mother I can look forward to, lol.

I guess it's just normal. 😅 And hey, I'm sure you're doing more than your mom and there's a chance you'll stay young and strong for a long time. ❤️