URGENT - is this good or bad, i.e., safe or dangerous?

Eatos_17
Eatos_17 Posts: 1 Member
edited July 30 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all,

I am on my second month doing a diet and I’ve been doing P90x prior that, but for this month, I am doing that [P90x] on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, then Insanity on Tuesday and Thursday - the weekend will be rest days, more-so stretching and no HITT or weights.

After my first month just going on 10K walks (where I’m running 1K, then waking the next), as well as doing P90x, and eating at 1550 calories, I’ve lost a stone, but have more to go…

As for my post, I’ve just done a walk and insanity during the end of my day and I saw these results on my fitness pal for the first time and unsure if it’s safe? Usually, I have 500 calories remaining, so any advice is welcomed, please.

Thanks!

Note - I am consuming over ~130 grams of protein a day, or there about (I do my weight current weight multiplied by 0.7, not 1, as I find it difficult eating loads of food in a day.

Best Answers

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,939 Member
    Answer ✓
    You must weigh ~185lbs (130g/0.7), or 13st 3lb. Without knowing your desired rate of loss, we cannot give specifics. But let's look at what we do know based on what you've typed or the image presents:
    • You ate ~1500 calories on the day (about your daily stated goal), including 130g of protein. For an active male, you have at least hit decent minimum standards.
    • You burned ~1300 calories from exercises, a large number but not outrageous.
    • You have not eaten back any of the calories burned from exercise, leaving a balance of ~1400 in the negative on the day.

All told, that is an aggressive day. If it's a one-off where most of your days are more of the -500 variety, then you should be good to go. If, however, this is your new standard and most of your days are approaching -1500 calories, that's a little different story. The body can only take such extreme differences for so long before something gives, whether an accumulation of fatigue making it hard to move, greater risk of injury, or something worse (internal organ damage and other fun-sounding issues). Unless you are under the supervision of a doctor/nutritionist, for your body weight, best to keep daily calorie deficits to the 500 or less variety.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,139 Member
    edited July 31 Answer ✓
    Well. 10,000 steps a day would make you "active". 10K, as in km, a day would push you well above very active. If you've already selected a 1,000 Cal deficit, then in your example you pulled a 2,500 Cal deficit. If you've lost a "stone" in 4 to 5 weeks, then you're losing at a rate of almost 3lbs a week. i.e. you're posting an effective deficit of 1,500 Cal a day -- ON AVERAGE.

All of which points to you being: pretty *kittens* aggressive.

Most people find it easier to lose weight while aiming to lose 0.5% to 1% of their body weight per week on average. In fact for most it is closer to the low end of that than the high end. You're coming in at above 1.5%

All this stuff you're doing... are you going to be doing it five years from now?

If you're not... you may be better off aiming for smaller deficits and a slower loss while using the time you're losing weight to trying to figure out permanent life changes and methods of weight management!

Answers

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,734 Member
    Are you going on 10k walks regularly? Or are you getting 10,000 steps?

Either way, you're quite active, which is good, but I'd advise against relying on this amount and level of activity to maintain your weight. Illness, injury, life, etc. can interfere with this plan, so you want to find a lifestyle that is sustainable long-term.

The other posts already adequately addressed the calorie intake question. I'm not sure what you're doing is advisable health-wise. Slow down and don't make this a punishment or a huge daily obligation.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,487 Member
    edited July 31
    Here goes my broken record again. I lost about 30 lbs in 2 months (accidentally). My hair fell out in handfuls, not just on my brush and my pillow, but I would find clumps in random places on the floor, etc.
    My skin dried out and looked like alligator skin, sloughed off. I was major constipated.
    Don't do it.