Change serving to grams

amandakomoski9864
amandakomoski9864 Posts: 1 Member
When creating a recipe I’m horrible with serving sizes. Is there anyway to take the entire grams of the meal and input just the grams that I plate myself? This way I can use my scale.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,726 Member
    If you edit your recipe so that the number of servings for the recipe equals the weight in grams, you can then add the number of grams of your own portion as the number of servings of your meal when adding to your diary.
  • bs2rfxdyvb
    bs2rfxdyvb Posts: 1 Member
    Is there an actual way to do this? It seems SO obvious to measure your food by weight because that's actually accurate, but the just saying a serving is one gram isn't going to do this.

I can figure out the "kludge" of pretending that one gram is a "serving" too, but it won't work. It will wreck nutritional values due to rounding errors.

I tried it.

* My parang curry probably serves 8-10 people depending on appetites, kids etc.
    * The app reports 12.4 grams of carbs per serving if I say 10 servings.
    * But with this "make a serving 1 gram" kludge, the total carbs are now 0 per "serving".

Zero times any amount is zero, so now my recipe has 0 carbs now matter how much I eat, which is just plain wrong.

If I make a big enough dish for enough guests, the calories per serving also drops to zero. (Likely because of rounding errors.)
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,726 Member
    edited August 10
    What do you mean, you've tried this and it won't work? I just tested it myself and works perfectly. MFP doesn't use the rounded number when you enter seconds into your diary, it uses the real number. I just entered 200 servings into my diary of a recipe with (rounded) 1 calorie, 0 fat and 0 protein, and it came up as 246 calories with 1.5 fat and 8.1 protein, just like the original recipe.

Also, if you don't like seeing those low rounded numbers, choose 100gr as the unit for a serving instead of 1gr. Same principle but with larger numbers per serving.