Could I possibly be allergic to gluten?...

Options
124»

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Sure, some people have gluten sensitivity or allergies. You could also just be thinking you do because it's a fad diet right now and everyone is doing it. Don't jump on the gluten free bandwagon until you get tested. It's expensive and at first you may lose weight but a lot of the gluten free foods out there are less nutrient dense.

Amazing how ignorant some people can be... just because they don't personally suffer the misery that Wheat unfortunately causes some of us, it must be "a fad"... As I have and others have said, many of us absolutely love bread and other wheat-products, but unfortunately it doesn't love us. It's cheap, filling and tasty - I'd eat it all the time if I could...

Man was desinged to run on protein/fat (and to very easily and efficiently store fat for hard times), we were not designed to run on wheat/gluten/quick-fix-carbs... it is simple science, and a wonder that as many people tolerate such an alien food as they do really. Humans might as well eat gravel or nuts and bolts as wheat for all the good it really does us. It is just a cheap bulking agent that food companies make by far the most profit out of, which is why it is in virtually everything you buy pre-prepared. Unless you have the skills, budget and time to prepare all your meals yourself so you know exactly what is in them, wheat is very hard to avoid.

Let's all hope you don't get one of those terminal cancer or heart disease "fads"... cancer and heart disease seem to be affecting a lot of people right now, so they're probably just "trendy fads" too by your logic.
    No. Man was not "designed to run on protein/fat." Humans evolved to eat EVERYTHING, and the vast majority of human and prehuman civilizations ate very high carb diets, 50% or more of their daily calories coming from carbs. Tribes like the Inuit, who were basically carb free, have always been the exception, not the rule.

The rest of your post is too ignorant to even deserve a response.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    it is true that eliminating wheat for a while then reintroducing it can cause your body to not know how to properly digest it , or become a bit sensitive or intolerant to it, I've herd that a few times...
    This is true for any food. The human body uses enzymes to break down foods. If you stop eating a particular food, the body stops creating the enzyme to digest it. You start eating it again, the body can't handle it until it builds the enzyme back up. This is why vegans get sick when they decide to start eating meat again.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Sure, some people have gluten sensitivity or allergies. You could also just be thinking you do because it's a fad diet right now and everyone is doing it. Don't jump on the gluten free bandwagon until you get tested. It's expensive and at first you may lose weight but a lot of the gluten free foods out there are less nutrient dense.

Amazing how ignorant some people can be... just because they don't personally suffer the misery that Wheat unfortunately causes some of us, it must be "a fad"... As I have and others have said, many of us absolutely love bread and other wheat-products, but unfortunately it doesn't love us. It's cheap, filling and tasty - I'd eat it all the time if I could...

Man was desinged to run on protein/fat (and to very easily and efficiently store fat for hard times), we were not designed to run on wheat/gluten/quick-fix-carbs... it is simple science, and a wonder that as many people tolerate such an alien food as they do really. Humans might as well eat gravel or nuts and bolts as wheat for all the good it really does us. It is just a cheap bulking agent that food companies make by far the most profit out of, which is why it is in virtually everything you buy pre-prepared. Unless you have the skills, budget and time to prepare all your meals yourself so you know exactly what is in them, wheat is very hard to avoid.

Let's all hope you don't get one of those terminal cancer or heart disease "fads"... cancer and heart disease seem to be affecting a lot of people right now, so they're probably just "trendy fads" too by your logic.
    No. Man was not "designed to run on protein/fat." Humans evolved to eat EVERYTHING, and the vast majority of human and prehuman civilizations ate very high carb diets, 50% or more of their daily calories coming from carbs. Tribes like the Inuit, who were basically carb free, have always been the exception, not the rule.

The rest of your post is too ignorant to even deserve a response.

lol, its funny when people say this. if we were designed to only eat protein and fat, why are we able to consume carbohydrates?
  • If you were allergic to gluten, even that little bit of whole wheat bread would have had you keeling over.

Not necessarily. I am horribly allergic to wheat but I ate it my whole life until I realized I was actually allergic. I just never attributed my symptoms (frequent horrible migraines) to it. Thankfully I figured it out and now hardly ever have migraines.

When you are allergic to something but eat it almost constantly — as Americans do with wheat at every meal — your body is so busy fighting the constant influx that it can barely deal with it. Once you go OFF the allergen though, your antibodies to it build up (which they are supposed to do) and then eating it again will make you extremely sick. But prior to that, you do in fact suppress your response to it somewhat. This has def been my personal experience and a doctor friend told me the same as well.