Does anything help you on weekends?

I'm struggling with the typical "eat well all week, blow it on the weekend" problem. With trying to cater to others and running around on weekends, I lose control over my own meals and end up grabbing whatever is going. Then, after a day or two of "not great", I'm more likely to truly blow things late at night.

Did you struggle with this - and has anything practical helped?

Just giving myself a talking to isn't doing the trick. Thanks so much for any suggestions!

Answers

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,726 Member
    My suggestions would be:
    - plan ahead and make sure you have some easy healthy meals ready (prepped when you have more time or perhaps store-bought)
    - eat a bit less on weekdays, so that your calorie allowance is higher on the weekend
  • Traquette
    Traquette Posts: 109 Member
    If you're out all day and are never home to eat like you would on week days, pack lunches or at least healthy snacks to eat when you feel hungry.
    You'd be less tempted to buy calorie dense snacks while out, and you'll be less hungry at night.
    And like said above, you can prep your weekend meals to have something ready when you get home.

I have the same problem.. I wake up early all days of the week, but I'm not always home at noon on the weekends and I get hungry... and too often eat out because of that ! I should follow my advice more (it's not an habit yet to bring food!)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    Good advice above. I'd add this:

I'm betting that if you're like most of us, the places you visit to "grab and go" are somewhat on repeat. My advice: Go to those places at a time of non-desperation (or visit their web sites if they're chain restaurants). Do this when you're not busy, soon after you've eaten a satisfying meal, and have some time to spend on it.

The goal: Find calorie appropriate, tasty, at least minimally nutritious foods you can grab when you're in a rush. Maybe make a list on your phone, broken down by location.

You don't need to skip all so-called fast food or junk food. Just find some manageable options. Consider the junior burger, no fries, water or other no/low calorie beverage. Consider the salad with some grilled (not crispy) protein. Consider the Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, hard boiled eggs, or low-processed deli meat from the grocery or convenience store. At sit-down restaurants, look for a light breakfast-all-day option, a salad, a veggie plate, a non-fried appetizer you can eat as a main. If you want to have a drink with friends, find the lighter options, and plan to alternate full glasses of water (or other non-caloric drink) with alcohol so it lasts longer.

Next imagine yourself in your busy-weekend circumstances, and vividly imagine yourself going to one of those places, grabbing that new choice, eating it, giving it a few (20 or so) minutes to settle in before adding on, and feeling satisfied. Make it like a mini-movie in your head, really vivid.

Next time you're in similar circumstances, play out that script. It maybe won't work every time, but keep working at it. "Instantly perfect" isn't necessary, and is less likely to be achievable. "Gradually better" can work.
  • oakster69
    oakster69 Posts: 70 Member
    I try to eat a good, protein filled breakfast to tide me over, sometimes even just a little later than normal. Then I dont get hungry as soon and I can personally challenge myself to make it to dinner (if need be). I may take a piece of fruit with me or something if it is able to be done. I also have a few fast food places where I can get high protien, reasonable calorie meals that keep me in a deficit. I am quite a bit overweight so it may be easier for me than for some others. If possible, I work out or find a way to stay active to keep my mind off food and increase my calorie burn. I have been doing this on softball night, going to the gym after work and staying active coaching the team in the evening and not eating until I get home.
  • duskyblue
    duskyblue Posts: 10 Member
    Thanks so much for the helpful suggestions. :) I’ll try to plan ahead more, mentally and in terms of food prep. A proper breakfast sounds like an idea too.

Thinking it might help to fit in some meal planning and a shop mid-week, after work. Then I’ll be armed by the weekend – instead of running out of supplies, energy and plans just as it starts (and as my college-age kids descend, hoping for entertainment and good things to eat! :D).

I hope you all have a lovely week.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,322 Member
    if you keep allowing yourself to do it.. you'll be overweight forever. You hold 100 percent of the power. Put a picture of yourself in your underwear as your home page on your phone and computer. Look at it three times a day .. including weekends. You simply have to break the habit of your routine and put yourself and health first.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    And don’t forget idle hands. Find something to do. A project cleaning a closet or cupboard, giving one or two room a thorough clean. For me, it’s always having a needlework project going. I don’t like to eat and do needlework because of greasy dirty hands, so it naturally limits what and when I snack.

Like anomeone else mentioned, I also bank calories during the week so I can enjoy an extra, guilt free treat on Saturdays.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,916 Member
    Weekends are the demise for many trying to lose weight. And usually the reason is they don't plan it correctly like the rest of the week. Make a plan and stick to it. Don't make an excuse, don't justify it, and relent against anyone trying to usurp it for you. It's your option and if you're making the option not to follow, then it is reflected by the results you get.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 40 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AngWil729
    AngWil729 Posts: 3 Member
    edited August 6
    I always try to plan my meals the night before. If I know I’ll be out and about I try to order a grilled chicken sandwich, no fries. Grab an insulated lunch bag, pack carrots, celery, cucumbers, cheese, nuts. I keep a snack size bag of nuts in my purse. The night before make an omelette in a jar and throw in the microwave for 1-2 minutes in the morning. Good luck! It’s hard to break the cycle. Never quit!