High reps or low reps for fat loss/body comp

I’ve recently lost 30lbs and am now in the “skinny fat” stage. I’m looking to gain more muscle and really just toning up without adding mass or looking bigger. I’ve seen mixed reviews on the debate between high reps/low weight and low reps/high weight. I’m thinking low weight/high reps mixed with some HITT and steady state cardio. Thoughts? As info, I’m 5’2 female and 34 years old!

Answers

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,774 Member
    Your thinking is correct, but think more medium weight, where failure would be at 12-20 reps. It doesn't matter. Do sets to 1-2 reps from failure. Get at least 0.7g per pound protein. Lift at least 3x weekly. Track your waist and hips sizes and take pics.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    If you're lifting regularly, I'd suggest skipping the HIIT. Many of the things currently called HIIT include a strength challenge, and either that strength challenge or purely the intensity can interfere with recovery and limit benefits from the strength gaining, at least unless/until you're very accustomed to high amounts/intensities of training. (HIIT is seriously oversold these days.)

Steady state cardio isn't necessarily all low intensity, either: There is LISS but also MISS (moderate/medium intensity) and even HISS (high). The difference is a combination of intensity + tolerable duration. Cardio intervals are also an option, but that's not generally what people call "HIIT" these days.

Low to medium intensity cardio is probably a better bet if you want to prioritize gains of any type from strength training, including the kind of gains people call "toning". If you have explicit cardiovascular exercise goals (like competing in a cardiovascularly demanding sport) eventually you'd want some intensity in the mix some way, generally after good base cardiovascular fitness is in place.

There are some benefits of higher intensity for general or cardiovascular fitness, but for a person with priority on benefits from strength training, I'd suggest not worrying about that for the time being.

For reference, I'm F, 5'5", literally twice your age, and a recreational athlete in a cardiovascular sport. Retro knows way more about lifting than I do. My experience is more on the cardio development side of things, including some about how that relates to strength training.
  • GlenG1969
    GlenG1969 Posts: 34 Member
    edited August 12
    First things first, you can't tone a muscle it can only shrink or grow. You can make them bigger and stronger, but they don’t get firmer.
    Also, it is notoriously hard to gain muscle especially for women. So you shouldn't worry too much about all of a sudden looking bigger However you did say you want to gain some muscle and that means muscle mass. Thats the point of weight training.

As for the debate between HRLW vs LRHW. Generally speaking low reps with heavier weights tends to increase muscle mass and strength whereas high reps with light weights is better for muscle endurance. That's a broad brush statement, plus peoples ideas of what a low weight actually is varies greatly 😳
    As retroguy2000 has already pointed out. You need to select weights that are heavy enough that allow you to fatigue your muscles within your desired rep range be that 8-12, or 12-20, (with a few reps left to failure). You can even do combination of both, eg heavy weight medium rep range, lat pull downs 8-12 reps. Followed by medium weight high rep barbell curl 12- 20 reps.
    You should program resistance training at least 3 times per week, with whichever body split you wish to follow, be that full body, upper, lower, push pull, legs etc.

As for cardio, AnnPT77 has already covered this perfectly.

Last point just like Tone before it, HIIT has become just another buzz word in the fitness industry.
    True HIIT in its original design is short, brutal, maximal efforts and it is absolutely soul destroying, reducing people to quivering wrecks, and definitely not what you would want to do on a regular basis.

All the best Glen
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,133 Member
    Ang_syl wrote: »
    I’ve recently lost 30lbs and am now in the “skinny fat” stage. I’m looking to gain more muscle and really just toning up without adding mass or looking bigger. I’ve seen mixed reviews on the debate between high reps/low weight and low reps/high weight. I’m thinking low weight/high reps mixed with some HITT and steady state cardio. Thoughts? As info, I’m 5’2 female and 34 years old!
    in order to build muscle you must work on progressive overload, progressively overloading a muscle through heavier weight as you progress. Rep range will be in the 8-12 range normally with an occasional session slightly higher or lower. Once you can do your reps with a certain weight without challenge you will increase weight. Rinse and repeat.

Your diet will determine whether you are “toned” or not, as muscle is muscle. Be careful with too much cardio, especially HIIT when attempting to build muscle.