Why is my daily calorie goal so high?

I’m trying to lose weight for the marines, but I feel like I’m not going to lose weight with my calorie goal. I’m supposed to be in a calorie deficit. My goal is 2100.

Answers

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,774 Member
    It depends on the inputs you gave it, i.e. your estimate of your own daily activity, and your requested weight loss if any.

Try this for comparison:

https://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    Many people think they need to eat less to lose weight than is really true. Fast loss isn't generally a great idea, unless a person is so severely obese that their weight in itself is a health threat (and they're under close medical supervision for deficiencies and complications besides). Fast loss increases health risks, and at extremes can cause muscle loss, something I'm sure you don't want to invoke on your way to the marines.

How long have you been eating at that level? How much weight have you lost in that time?

If you're just starting out, test-drive the calorie estimate for 4-6 weeks (since you're male, hormone cycle considerations don't apply). The results will give you the best possible estimate of your calorie needs. Once you have enough data to get a reasonable average weekly loss, adjust your goal using the concept that 500 calories a day is a pound a week. Use arithmetic with that for partial pounds. (1100 calories a day is a kg a week, if you measure your weight in kilos.) Losing 0.5-1% of current weight per week is reasonable, with a bias toward the lower end of that unless very overweight.

Since you're heading for the marines, I'm guessing you're fairly young. Your profile says you're male. Many young men would lose at a good clip at 2100 calories. (It's around where I maintain weight as a 5'5", 130-something pound, 68 y/o woman. While one person's calorie needs don't predict another person's needs, I think you'd agree that you'd expect to need substantially more calories than nearly any li'l ol' lady. :D )

Best wishes!