Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How do I start or learn to like eating healthy?

Hello, I am new here and I want to start eating healthy but I never grew up eating vegetables or many fruits, and all the recipes I look at have stuff I’ve tried but I can’t seem to swallow the food, sorry if this sounds like a dumb question.

Answers

• lynnpinner2646
    lynnpinner2646 Posts: 1 Member
    Why not mimic the shapes and sizes of foods that you did eat before ? Or just smaller sizes. What did you eat ? If you can’t physically swallow it I would recommend you speak to a doctor. Mostly any fitness or healthier diet it just habit forming. You won’t get it perfect first time. But consistent trying will help you progress over time.

And it’s all about discipline as you won’t always be motivated. Good luck.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,169 Member
    edited August 8
    Some people have really hyper sensitive senses and it makes eating a variety of foods difficult. Can identify a specific texture that you just cannot handle? (Mushy or mixed textures for example.) Then work to create the size / shape / texture that feels more similar to your preferred foods. For example, if you buy thin asparagus, cut it into small pieces, season it, and bake it at a hot 400, you can actually get it fairly crispy. Same with chickpeas and broccoli. Smoothies may also be a good move for fruits. Just weigh and measure your ingredients before putting them into the blender.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,326 Member
    I cannot overemphasize the need for "flavor" when it comes to fruits and vegetables. Dips, sauces, and sprinkles are essential for me to be able to eat produce (or anything, really). My go-to's are ranch, Caesar, and blue cheese for dips. Cheese sauce, salsa, guacamole (or is that a dip?), marinara, stir-fry sauce, hot sauce, and BBQ sauce are good options, within the limits of your calorie budget of course. Flavored vinegars are also nice and a very low/no calorie option. Basalmic is very nice with most fruit. I also use buffalo wing dry seasoning, blackening seasoning, chile flakes of all kinds, salt and vinegar powder, and seasoned salts. I have a great local spice shop that makes all kinds of tasty spice blends that I explore from time to time as well. Obviously some of these choices are more caloric than others and that has to be balanced into your plan. I lost a great deal of my taste when I had Covid and I seriously doubt I could stand any vegetables and most fruits if I couldn't make them actually taste like something.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,241 Member
    My advice is to look up some european recipes. When I watch in movies americans eating steamed vegetables as a side it makes me gag.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,272 Member
    I feel ya. I am a texture girl. I like many foods more for the texture than the actual taste. Looking at you, digestive biscuits.

I grew up with limited fruits and vegetables. Lots of radishes, because they were cheap, lol, but they were one of the few fresh vegetables we got.

I grew up loathing peas, lima beans and especially asparagus because we only got canned, and the texture was abominable. Velvety would be being kind. I didn’t like that disintegrating mushy texture.

Canned fruit always had a tinny taste, or was a few pieces of unidentifiable chunks floating in thick syrup. Or was (gag me!) 1970’s “fruit cocktail”.

Canned was what I was raised with, and the only thing I knew. Frozen vegetables were suspect, as a result of the bad experience with canned.

It wasn’t til I was in my late 50’s, determined to lose weight, that I started really investigating fresh vegetables and fruits. It was a revelation. I didn’t know they could look, smell, taste or have texture other than mushy. Realizing I could eat peas without a gag reflex was a happy day. Realizing that fresh or frozen peas with a dab of honey were delicious- oh, my!

Asparagus is a particular favorite. I never had an avocado in my life til I started weight loss. My kids are razzing me right now that the star fruits we tried when they were young, I was too dumb to.know they weren’t ripe.

Cutting out a lot (def not all, I’m not a masochist) sugar has changed my taste buds. They taste so much better now. I have favorites in my rotation but I’m actually excited to try new ones.

Right now I’m obsessed with Rancho Gordon beans, and am particularly overjoyed that cherry season is unreasonably long this year, and the fruits have been magnificent. I’m going through pounds of the things.

Give yourself permission to try something new once a week. Check out the book How to Peel a Peach. Google for easy low cal recipes. Allrecipes has great ideas, and half the time the comments provide more useful information than the recipes themselves.

If you hate it, don’t like the texture, toss it and move on.

Someone wise here once said, “my body is not a garbage disposal”. Don’t eat it if it’s gross.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,289 Member
    Someone wise here once said, “my body is not a garbage disposal”. Don’t eat it if it’s gross.

Isn't this the truth!

When I was losing weight I was going to restaurants fairly often. My orders often got bungled which is annoying enough to not get your food as you like it, but the biggest issue with restaurants is that the food in a lot of them is really sub-par. Granted I wasn't going to nice restaurants, mostly small locally owned places or big chains. Plus the cost, and the waiting, and the inability to know the calories.

I digress.

I make my own meals exactly the way I want them for a fraction of the cost. They taste better, it's faster, and I can eat them in my pajamas.
  • AmunahSki
    AmunahSki Posts: 176 Member
    My maternal grandmother was a terrible cook, and the family legend tells how my mum only realised that sprouts were actually separate little vegetables when she married my dad and started cooking them herself (her mum had boiled them to mush).

My mum and dad taught themselves to be fabulous cooks, so I learned from the best :heart: However, if you’re starting from scratch and nervous about tastes or textures, I can see how it might be difficult to get started.

There’s a section in this forum called “Recipes” and a thread called ‘Show me what your meals look like (in pictures)’ - you could look for some examples there?

Maybe you could also casually ask your friends about their favourite recipes - if you like the sound of something you can maybe ask them to set aside a very small portion for you next time they cook it, so you can try lots of different things and decide what you like?
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 1,269 Member
    edited August 9
    Consider what it is about the fruits and vegetables that’s making you unable to swallow. Taste? Texture? Cultural association - aka “this is a healthy food” , psychological issue … determine what the issue is with the produce and go from there.

If you don’t like the taste / try different fruits or vegetables- go to a world market and try something different. Don’t like raw? Cook it differently / like juices? Chuck it in a blender and make a shake. Use them as add ins to recipes - I.e. fruit in yogurt, vegetables in stew…

A lot of different ways to make fruits and vegetables and thousands of varieties to try to please your palate.

I don’t know what you are currently eating .. or if you are carnivore, but if you aren’t.. you may already be eating vegetables .. lettuce and tomato on a burger? Potatoes - French fries , sweet potatoes? Corn?
    All Veg dressed up in a different costume.
  • Traquette
    Traquette Posts: 109 Member
    Try try try try... but don't force
    Like, choose 1 fruit or vegetable to add to something you already eat.
    You can sneak a lot in pasta sauce for exemple. You can blend it so you don't feel it and if you choose something with only a mild flavour, you won't taste it much either.

I feel fruit might be easier as they are sweeter, but if it's a texture thing I understand it's trickier.

When you find something you like, try to use it often ! And then, pair it with a new one, etc...

Slowly you'll find more and more healthy food to enjoy !
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,887 Member
    Lol, don't have anything in your house but those foods. A hungry person LEARNS how to like what they can ONLY EAT. Don't take my word for it. Ask guys who are in prison. :D Which BTW, obesity doesn't exist in high numbers there.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 40 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • springlering62
    edited August 9
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lol, don't have anything in your house but those foods. A hungry person LEARNS how to like what they can ONLY EAT. Don't take my word for it. Ask guys who are in prison. :D Which BTW, obesity doesn't exist in high numbers there.
    ]

That would be prison for me. Worse, even.

Life is too short to play that particular mind game.

I don’t keep things in the house I know I’ll binge on, or, if I do, small quantities, like 9oz bags of tortilla chips instead of party sized for chilaquiles so none leftover to nosh on, small individually wrapped chocolate bars, in the freezer, because they have to thaw to taste good, which causes me to pause.

But not having anything I like? Hard NO. Outside of vitamins, I only eat things I enjoy eating.

That’s the only thing that will keep me sane and able to maintain a calorie balance.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,887 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    ]

That would be prison for me. Worse, even.

Life is too short to play that particular mind game.

I don’t keep things in the house I know I’ll binge on, or, if I do, small quantities, like 9oz bags of tortilla chips instead of party sized for chilaquiles so none leftover to nosh on, small individually wrapped chocolate bars, in the freezer, because they have to thaw to taste good, which causes me to pause.

But not having anything I like? Hard NO. Outside of vitamins, I only eat things I enjoy eating.

That’s the only thing that will keep me sane and able to maintain a calorie balance.
    I only stated that because the OP doesn't like vegetables and fruits. If those are the only things around and not the usual food you like to eat, you're gonna eat what you have. The hope there is that continually eating those will grow on you.

But you're right, not having what you like for the rest of your life is prison.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 40 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,825 Member
    Why not start with one fruit or veg, and try different ways of preparing them? Like others have said: hide in pasta or curry sauces. Steaming veg is often boring (but apparently quite common in the US), thus try tossing things into an oven dish with potatoes cut in fries like sticks, some protein and oil, bit of salt on top. Eat with.. dunno.. tsatsiki, hummus, ketchup even. Boil, stir-fry, microwave, or eat raw. So many options.
  • springlering62
    I could eat roasted vegetables with balsamic and feta every. single. day.

Beets. Discovered them two or three years ago. 😱
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Roasting vegetables can be deliciously eye opening. My husband grew up hating-hating-hating Brussels Sprouts because the only way they were served in his childhood home was boiled to mush. I told him, "I bet I can change your mind on Brussels Sprouts," and to say he was skeptical is putting it lightly. But I tossed some fresh Sprouts (cut in half/fourths) in a little olive oil, sprinkled lightly with salt & pepper, and roasted them until the outer leaves were crunchy and the veg itself was cooked, but firm and bursting with flavor.

He couldn't believe it, but he loved them.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 1,269 Member
    Looking forward to OP’s findings..

Off to the unpopular opinions thread to talk about my beloved steamed veggies now 😂
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    So many people here have talked about roasted vegetables that these are what I came on here to recommend for the OP.

Off to the unpopular opinions thread to talk about my beloved steamed veggies now 😂

I happen to like steamed vegetables. I keep trying to roast broccoli, but always go back to steamed. However, I start with RAW vegetables, and steam them VERY LIGHTLY so that they are still crunchy. I can't abide canned veggies or those that were cooked to death. Not a fan of frozen veggies, other than peas and corn. The peas I barely defrost.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    Roasting vegetables can be deliciously eye opening. My husband grew up hating-hating-hating Brussels Sprouts because the only way they were served in his childhood home was boiled to mush. I told him, "I bet I can change your mind on Brussels Sprouts," and to say he was skeptical is putting it lightly. But I tossed some fresh Sprouts (cut in half/fourths) in a little olive oil, sprinkled lightly with salt & pepper, and roasted them until the outer leaves were crunchy and the veg itself was cooked, but firm and bursting with flavor.

He couldn't believe it, but he loved them.

Yep, my partner's mother was a boil-veggies-to-mush cook. I got him to enjoy Brussels sprouts by pan roasting them in a little oil with bacon or kielbasa.

He never liked cauliflower before I discovered Buffalo cauliflower. Huh, my recipe is now paleo and air fryer. I use wheat flour and the oven, 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until tender when poked with a fork.

https://www.franksredhot.com/en-us/recipes/buffalo-cauliflower-bites

It does have a lot more calories than plain cauliflower. I usually make half the head like that and then I eat the rest steamed, over the next week.

I made cauliflower millet "mashed potatoes" once. I thought it was more trouble than it was worth, but others might enjoy it. My version had onions instead of garlic.

https://kripalu.org/resources/kripalu-recipe-garlicky-cauliflower-millet-mash

The cruciferous veggie we eat the most is simple steamed broccoli :smiley:
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,636 Member

It's weird: Seems like there have been multiple cases here recently where people talk about how awful steamed veggies are, or claim that people in the US eat lots of (or mostly) steamed veggies.

I don't perceive either of those to be solidly true.

Properly steamed veggies are good, but it's necessary to choose the right veggies, and not cook them to death, or undercook. They can be light, flavorful, crisp, colorful . . . delicious.

I'm not sure where the "everyone eats lots of them in the US" comes in. Maybe the "steam in bag" (in microwave) kind? Sometimes I buy those, but never steam them in the bag. People eat veggies a lot of ways here, IME . . . but a lot of people eat very few of them at all, if survey data is accurate.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,131 Member
    edited August 11
    Buy bag. Nuke bag. Eat bag. Try different bag. Buy more of best bags. Nuke more of best bags. Eat more of best bags. Problem solved.
    <I'm not in the US>

Suggest 500 to 750g bag. 1kg may be a bit much for some. And 350g or smaller may prove marginal for a once a day nuking. You might have to resort to TWICE a day nuking which is, like, WORK!