Not losing weight

I've been using the app for a few years but not as committed as I am now. I have a calorie intake set of 1200. I am eating healthy food within this range and I exercise 2 - 3 times a week. My BMI is 31 which is obese although I honestly don't feel obese. What am i doing wrong, been strictly counting for 5 days now and nothing :( I went down 1kg and then went up again to more than I was before. I'm not drinking enough water on the odd day but mostly I do and I am not consuming any alcohol!

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,726 Member
    5 days? You need several weeks to judge your progress, preferably 1 month (or menstrual cycle if applicable) or more. Epecially if you are exercising more than before (new exercise often causes water retention).

Patience!
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,187 Member
    This is why so many people quit - expecting too much too soon! Give it 4-6 weeks. And remember that we are made up of all sorts of fluctuate matter that “have weight.” The number on the scale goes up and down from so many factors besides fat. Keep at it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,333 Member
    Keep going.

You didn't put that weight on in five days.

I know how hard it is in the beginning, though.

Add on to the hunger, is the anger. I was soooo mad at myself for eating myself into obesity. Anger can help fuel the decision to change.

It's worth it.

Keep going.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,133 Member
    You want to figure calories by the week as daily amounts vary. Add up 7 days of calories and divide by 7 and this your daily average which is the number to look at. The app shows this.

Stick to that amount for 4 to 6 weeks before judging if that amount is or isn’t correct for your fatloss goals.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,916 Member
    5 days and restarting exercise? It can take up to 2 weeks or so for body to adapt to new regimen and exercise can intitally make you GAIN weight because of the water and glycogen storage when you first start back on an exercise program.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 40 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Zoe2901
    Zoe2901 Posts: 79 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    5 days and restarting exercise? It can take up to 2 weeks or so for body to adapt to new regimen and exercise can intitally make you GAIN weight because of the water and glycogen storage when you first start back on an exercise program.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So glad I read this comment, I had wondered why my weight had increased slightly, so easy to become disheartened in the beginning
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,853 Member
    edited August 10
    Zoe2901 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So glad I read this comment, I had wondered why my weight had increased slightly, so easy to become disheartened in the beginning

Yes, this. Plus fluctuations due to content in your digestive tract, due to hormonal fluctuations, due to clothes worn, weighting before or after a pee or a glass of water, bit more salt, hot days, spending a few hours on a train/car/plane, pretty much everything else.

Think of it as your ebb and flood of your body. Just... a lot more irregular and unexpected. But that shows you're alive 😅❤️
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,853 Member
    sgmu1oep4x2g.jpg

Here's some actual weightloss data over several months. The first bit was a bit too fast and my body eventually caught up, seelingly losing very little (overall still on track), the first bump in the middle was a doing strength training for the first time in a while: Lots of water weight. Plus I had a pack of crisps: lots of salt - more water weight. The second double bump was again strength training followed by 2x4hrs on a train in a day - more water weight weirdness. Then very little seemed to have happened, followed by a big, sudden drop.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,242 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

For women 4-6 weeks. I never see substential drops shorter than 4 weeks.
  • shannonbrehme
    shannonbrehme Posts: 1 Member
    I recently started walking 2 miles every morning for the past 2 days and in calorie deficit. I gained .5 lb. I agree with the fact that it takes time for the body to adjust. Hang in there. It’s def worth it.