New Scale

Freaking new scale added 10 lbs to my weight

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,333 Member
    LOLOL.

Ya sure it wasn't already there?

Strong first post though, I giggled and it's not even 5AM yet. :flowerforyou:
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    You're not supposed to hold the new scale in your arms when standing on the old one? ;):D

Don't worry, all of this nonsense is just estimates anyway: Body weight, body fat percent, calories in food, exercise calories, base calorie needs, you name it, estimates all the way down. They only need to be workable estimates, not perfect ones. As long as your new scale gives you a reliable trend line, you're all set, at least once you get past that initial shock. ;)

Best wishes!

P.S. My actual weight on the same scale has changed by up to 6 pounds from one day to the next. Scales vary, but bodies can be weird, too. It'll still be OK. :flowerforyou:
  • pony4us
    pony4us Posts: 161 Member
    Did you talk softly to it? Scales are sensitive beings and it might need to get used to you. I know when my ancient beloved scale had to be retired my new scale had a hard time adjusting to it's new home, and yep, like yours it rebelled by adding weight. It will soon settle in. I was upset because I would do the hold a 5 lb weight to see if the old scale was right, but the new one still added pounds. They are just evil.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 5,074 Member
    send it back!!!!! spawn of the devil.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,973 Member
    IAMCal_EL wrote: »
    Freaking new scale added 10 lbs to my weight

I have two scales. They read slightly differently, but they are consistent. The difference between them is consistent. My actual mass is in between them. I just use one of them.

When I used to work in an office, we had a balance scale in our fitness room. From time to time, I would weigh myself fully dressed right before riding my bike to work. When I got to work, I'd weigh again on the balance. This is how I would make sure my home scale was still accurate. If you have access to a balance from time to time, you can do this with your new scale.

Before I retired an old scale, I knew it was not accurate. It was an analog scale. I could adjust the zero so it would read my actual weight, and it was consistent. Trouble is, if someone else used the scale, it would be off. Someone who was visiting me changed the zero when they weighed themselves - it was then accurate for them, but not me. I set it back.... Eventually I got a digital scale with bio-impedence analysis. I think I replaced it since then; the one I have now seems to be fairly accurate and precise.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,731 Member
    I'm sorry. I know what it feels like to have this happen. When I was losing weight, I thought I started at 170. After I had lost about 20 lbs. I bought a new scale and realized that the old scale was off by 7 lbs. It felt as if I had gained 7 lbs. overnight. I knew it was extending the time it would take to lose the weight I wanted by a couple of months. So frustrating! I didn't let it stop me though. I went back to work and eventually got down to my goal weight. We check our scale every once in a while now by weighing at home, and then at the doctor's office soon afterward, or vice versa. It's a minor blip, but it is discouraging.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    edited August 13
    Any chance you got it at Costco and visited that salty, carb-laden food court before you left? 😇
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,322 Member
    Am I the only one who moves the scale to another part of the floor after a bad reading? Sometimes it goes down.. and I figure.. there! now that's right!
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,487 Member
    I saved my money. Just ate an extra 10 pounds. 😢 😭
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,737 Member
    Am I the only one who moves the scale to another part of the floor after a bad reading? Sometimes it goes down.. and I figure.. there! now that's right!

🤣 that's exactly what I do. I tell myself... huh, there must just be some loose flooring where the scale was or something. Oh the things we do for our sanity.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    Like avoiding setting it on the grout lines. 🤣
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    Like avoiding setting it on the grout lines. 🤣

I have a very specific spot on my bathroom tile where I'm careful to place the scale every time, in the hope of more consistent readings. It's just above this grout line, just inside those grout lines. :D:D:D
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 5,074 Member
    And this is why we are such a community here. 😎 How many of our IRL friends and family would understand this type of behavior and not think we were 🤪 loony tunes.

It is sort of nice to know I am not alone in this type of grouty behavior😆