Hi, How do you get more healthy carbs in your diet?

catleene69
catleene69 Posts: 1 Member
I have done Atkins in the past and lost 25 pounds, now I’m 55 and I’m trying to lose weight again but a healthier way, I find I’m falling in my low carb mindset and it shows in my Macros

Answers

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    edited August 12
    What macros are you hitting as a weekly average (MFP will tell you this in the phone/tablet app, Nutrition menu option, Macros tab, weekly view)?

If you want increased carbs from what would usually be considered healthier food sources, it would be veggies, fruits, and whole grains, mostly; maybe some dairy.

Starchy veggies have more carbs than the non-starchy ones that are more popular with low-carb eaters. Consider things like sweet potatoes, corn, carrots, potatoes, parsnips, Winter squash or pumpkin, peas and beans, beets, etc.

Sweeter fruits have more carbs than less-sweet fruits. Consider things like bananas, mangoes, dates, figs, peaches, etc.

Whole grains are kind of obvious.

Dairy foods like milk, buttermilk and yogurt have more carbs than things like hard cheese.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,333 Member
    I don't think there's anything wrong with going a little lower carb.

I kind of had to in order to stay within calories and still get reasonably good nutrition. I just cut way back on higher calorie carbs like bread, cereals, sweets. I kept all the fruits, vegetables, dairy, and nuts. Just smaller portions, staggering them over several days. Like instead of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, maybe a half, or just some peanut butter with half an apple. I limited my starchy vegetables or beans to one 100g serving or less per day, and my grains to one serving per day. I usually fell in at about 110-150g per day carbs at my 1500 calories setting.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,157 Member
    edited August 12
    Whole food carbs basically address that problem, so replace some of those unhealthy refined carbs with whole ones would be my recommendation. Low carb helps people with many of the non communicable and inflammatory issues, otherwise whole foods are a good place to start.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    edited August 12
    I tend to run low carb with my food choices. My food choices are so infinitely better than my old food choices, I’m not even going to bother worrying about it.

Weight loss comes down to calories in/calories out.

Eat what you enjoy, learn and experiment with foods and ways of eating now, to rope things in, and once you’ve got a handle on being up and running and within a calorie goal, then worry about the minutiae of macros.

Mine go up and down on a daily basis. I check my 7-day macro average a couple times a week, though, and generally find I’m pretty well nourished looking at the average, versus making myself nuts daily.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 503 Member
    When I want to cut carbs I usually just add a whole chicken breast or fish fillet to a meal and reduce the original meal's size to bring the calorie total back where i want it.