Cardiac with Fitness

I just completed cardiac rehab after having t clip placement on heart valve. I am trying to stay motivated with my Tuesday Thursday regimen. Consisted of walking, resistance training and weights. I maintain my diet about an 8 out of 10. Just recently got some steroid injections and noticing the bloat and puffiness. Outside of managing my salt intake, any other advice on fighting this bloat?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    Adequate hydration may be helpful, and reasonable electrolyte intake - not excessive, just adequate/reasonable.

Steroids usually cause some bloat, but it's just water weight, not fat. I know it's unpleasant and possibly dispiriting to be bloated, but water retention is part of a healthy body's response to certain kinds of stimuli. If it gets extreme from the steroid, or you think there's a health condition (beyond the steroids) in play, talk with your doctor.

If the course of steroids is temporary, the bloat will also be temporary. If steroids continue, the fluid retention doesn't keep increasing infinitely, so it should level out at some point.

I sympathize, have had some steroid times myself, but since it's not body fat, IMO there's no reason to be deeply worried . . . and if it seems extreme, like I said, talk with your doctor.