Meal Prepping

I’ve always was challenged with planning ahead when it comes to meals and what I’m gonna eat throughout the day.

I’m more of a heat of the moment kinda person. For the most part. The most prep I really do is decide what protein I want for dinner and take it out to thaw.

It’s really hard for me mentally to plan out every single meal and snack, especially when we run out of ingredients unexpectedly and can’t just run to the store and grab it. It stresses me out.

I know meal prep can really help with keeping yourself in line with your goals better, but I wanted to know if it’s really necessary for weight loss?

I started my journey in may 2024 and it’s now august 2024. I’ve tried meal prepping a little before but it’s how I know it’s not working for me.

I’m still losing weight just fine so I’m not really missing any core steps right?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,726 Member
    Meal prep is absolutely not necessary. It's just about eating fewer calories than you burn - if you can do that without meal prep, then there's no issue.

The only planning I do is for grocery shopping: we do plan out our dinners, since my BF and I take turns and base our shopping list on that (we each choose what we want to cook) and buy enough of our regular foods for the other meals and snacks. Just to not have to cook every night, we often cook enough dinner for two days in one go, that's as close to meal prep as I get. And it has nothing to do with weight-loss, just for practical reasons.

Do whatever works for you!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,157 Member
    edited August 12
    I'm a chef, so just getting that out there. Generally I'll throw something together al a minute with what I have on hand with my protein for dinner selected in the morning or I'll pick something up at my local butcher. The only time I plan is when I'm making something specific to a culture then more planning is because I might not have all the ingredients.

I eat until I can't or don't want to continue to eat because I'm full and I'm eating mostly twice a day with generally no treats. My diet satiates me pretty well so I don't really spend any time worrying about macros except the focus on quality protein or how many calories might be allowed so calories for me are a non issue. imo
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,331 Member
    Meal prepping isn’t necessary in the least. Frankly, cooking itself is t really necessary if that’s not your thing. I keep ingredients around, cooked and frozen meat and frozen veg, pre-cooked 90-second rice and pasta, condiments and spice blends. So many condiments and spices! Just scoop it all together when hungry and microwave for 3 or 4 minutes. No plan, just an amalgamation of whatever is appealing at the time.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,853 Member
    I don't meal prep. I usually buy a mixed bag of fruit and veg and cook with what I have at hand. However, I usually cook for 2-4 days. If I don't want to eat the same for four days then two servings go into the freezer for the following week.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,558 Member
    I'm a chef, so just getting that out there. Generally I'll throw something together al a minute with what I have on hand with my protein for dinner selected in the morning or I'll pick something up at my local butcher. The only time I plan is when I'm making something specific to a culture then more planning is because I might not have all the ingredients.

I eat until I can't or don't want to continue to eat because I'm full and I'm eating mostly twice a day with generally no treats. My diet satiates me pretty well so I don't really spend any time worrying about macros except the focus on quality protein or how many calories might be allowed so calories for me are a non issue. imo
    Had no idea you were a chef! You kept that quiet 😀
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 301 Member
    You had me at "I'm losing weight just fine." If it ain't broken, it don't need fixin'. I don't prep, but I'll buy and freeze large amounts of meats, fruits, and veggies, cook in large portions that last 2-3 days in the fridge.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,157 Member

Had no idea you were a chef! You kept that quiet 😀

I thought most regulars knew that, I've mentioned that quite a few times over the years. :)