Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Insulin resistance…

This is something I’ve struggled with since I was a child, I’ve made some lifestyle changes in hopes of it getting better. I’ve lost some weight and my blood sugar is normal but I feel like I still have it.

How do I know if it’s been fixed?
Also, anyone have any tips on how to fix it?

Best Answers

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,122 Member
    edited August 12 Answer ✓
    Insulin resistance can never be fixed, only managed. It can be reversed with a few different lifestyle changes, mostly with diet with exercise and maintaining a normal weight also important considering someone that is overweight or obese has a 5 fold higher risk of developing Insulin resistance that someone that is normal weight.

Children with IR is pretty much due to the increase of ultra processed foods (UPF) and sugary drinks and was pretty much unheard of pre 80's, literally. Other influences are inactivity which translates into being more sedentary (video game and children's safety as examples) basically and obesity and about 1/3 of children in the USA are overweight or obese and Insulin resistance is a given with further developing into pre-diabetes and diabetes if nothing is done is greatly increased.

Having a normal HbA1c doesn't indicate a person is not Insulin resistant which seems that's what your referring to and that only means your fasting blood glucose is within a range that is deemed normal, which imo is on the high side, but that's a different conversation. Fasting blood glucose does not put the body into a situation where it reacts to a particular feeding which is required in order to find out how a persons body handles that load and actually deemed insulin resistant. In order to find out if someone is IR they need to see their doctor and do what are called, an Insulin resistance test or a glucose tolerance test where a person is given 75g's of carbohydrates to see how that effects their insulin levels and basically if the rise is minimal and only move a little above base line and then comes back to base line in a reasonable amount of time or it's spikes insulin raising it well above base line, stays elevated for more time that would be deemed normal or acceptable.

Tips, well, getting or increasing regular exercise, focus on reducing body fat and maintaining a normal healthy weight, consume a diet that reduces UPF's and added sugars by consuming more whole foods in whatever diet where whole foods would indicate, like a Mediterranean diet for example, personally I'm on a low carb/ketogenic diet where whole foods are the focus. Try and get a good nights sleep and try to implement stress lowering techniques.

Hopefully you contact your doctor that can address your concerns because when insulin goes in the wrong direction for too long it really can effect peoples general health and the last thing I want is resembling most of the people my age (71).

• SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 1,266 Member
    Answer ✓
    In another post - you mentioned hair loss. Insulin resistance can also cause hair loss. Those with IR are typically told to do a low glycemic diet and have routine bloodwork to check hormones. It’s managed through diet, exercise and if needed medication.

• SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 1,266 Member
    edited August 12 Answer ✓
    V_2nessa wrote: »
    Thank you all for your replies. Just for more information, I’m 23, 165cm and 64kgs.

Every time I’ve gotten blood work done, my hormone levels have come back as normal. I will be asking my doctor about the glucose tolerance test now, so thanks for that tip.

Yes, I’ve had this since I was a kid because of a sedentary lifestyle and overindulging in processed foods. I only started changing things around once I turned 21, which is late, I know.

I haven’t cut any food out of my diet but it’s much healthier than it once was. I’ve been cooking almost all of my meals since last year and that has actually been going great.

I understand that managing my weight is one way to help with this, I feel like I’m close to my goal weight and I hope that it’ll make a difference.

Did your doctor say you were insulin resistant? When I was overweight my doctor cautioned me about being borderline insulin resistant and put me on a low glycemic diet which I am still in to this day.

Check out low glycemic foods and diets.
    You may already know this - but higher fiber low starch, low sugar foods work best.

Limiting the following helps IR -
    -Sweetened soda, juice, and sweetened tea.
    -refined grains, including white rice, white pasta
    -high GI bread and cereal with added sugar.
    - ultra-processed high GI snack foods, like candy, cookies, cakes, and chips.
    - swapping high sugar fruit and veg for lower GI options.

All the above can be made with low GI recipes by the way with swaps for more IR friendly ingredients.

Answers

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,086 Member
    V_2nessa wrote: »
    This is something I’ve struggled with since I was a child, I’ve made some lifestyle changes in hopes of it getting better. I’ve lost some weight and my blood sugar is normal but I feel like I still have it.

How do I know if it’s been fixed?
    Also, anyone have any tips on how to fix it?
    What is your height an weight
  • V_2nessa
    V_2nessa Posts: 6 Member
    Thank you all for your replies. Just for more information, I’m 23, 165cm and 64kgs.

Every time I’ve gotten blood work done, my hormone levels have come back as normal. I will be asking my doctor about the glucose tolerance test now, so thanks for that tip.

Yes, I’ve had this since I was a kid because of a sedentary lifestyle and overindulging in processed foods. I only started changing things around once I turned 21, which is late, I know.

I haven’t cut any food out of my diet but it’s much healthier than it once was. I’ve been cooking almost all of my meals since last year and that has actually been going great.

I understand that managing my weight is one way to help with this, I feel like I’m close to my goal weight and I hope that it’ll make a difference.