Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Having a hard time with food

V_2nessa
V_2nessa Posts: 6 Member
Hi! So I’m pretty new to MFP and am trying to lose some weight. They’ve given me a limit of 1200 calories and I’ve been sticking to it but am wondering if I am doing something wrong.

I’ve started to feel dizzy when I’m working out and at random times during the day + my hair has been falling out which may or may not be related.

Should I increase my calories or am I maybe not eating the right foods? Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

Replies

• SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 1,266 Member
    edited August 12
    I would see a doctor. Esp if hair falling out. In another thread you mention long term Insulin Resistance- this also causes hair to thin or fall. I’d have your hormone levels checked. Are you managing the calorie intake with a IR friendly diet?
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,688 Member
    You don't tell us anything about yourself: age, height, weight, activity level/exercise?

Without that info, general feedback: dizziness could be undereating and/or not enough salt intake, hair falling out also sounds like undereating and/or certain nutritional deficiencies.
    Just the fact that your goal is 1200 calories suggests that you've chosen a fast weight-loss rate - MFP as a rule never gives you a calorie goal under 1200 kcal.
  • V_2nessa
    Sorry about the lack of information. I’m 23, 165cm and 64kgs (ish). I workout 3-4 times a week, just some light cardio + resistance training.

I’ve been cooking nearly all of my own food since last year and try my best to make my meals balanced.

You’re right in saying that MFP gave me 1200 calories because I wanted the quickest possible rate of fat loss.

Also, yes, I’ve been to the doctor multiple times but all of my levels are always normal. Maybe mentioning the hair loss was unnecessary as there is a chance that it is genetic.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,688 Member
    edited August 12
    You do not have a lot of weight to lose, you should be aiming for 0.25-0.5kg per week, no more. (0.5-1% of body-weight per week is recommended)

For reference I'm 166cm (or perhaps 165 already, haven't been measured since high school :mrgreen: ) and I weigh slightly less than you (between 61 and 62kg on average). For weight loss (starting at 94kg, very sedentary, and all the way to my current weight, gradually more active) I ate 1700+ calories for slow weight-loss. My current intake is probably more like 2000 now for maintenance/very slow loss. Granted, I'm very active, but I'm also more than 15 years older than you. 1200 calories would make me very, very grumpy (and probably weak too) :smiley:

How fast have you been losing at 1200 calories per day?
    I would aim for 1400-1500 calories and see if it improves.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,825 Member
    Yes, it sounds like you're undereating, especially if you only eat 1200 calories per day and exercise on top. Say you burn 300 calories with a strenuous workout and you only eat 1200 calories. That's pretty much the same as not working out and only eating 900 calories. Even a toddler needs a lot more than that. Don't go fast. Go sustainable. Yes, it will of course be slower, but what's the point in going fast if you crash now already?
  • V_2nessa
    Funnily enough, I’ve been stuck at 63.5-64kgs even with this reduced diet which is what has been confusing me.

Based on your replies, I think I am going to try eating more (especially more protein, which Ive not been good at haha). Hopefully that will make my workout sessions more effective as well.

Thank you for your replies.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,122 Member
    What's your fat intake like?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,122 Member
    edited September 4
    As it relates to diet only, the reason I mentioned fat intake is because a very low fat diet can have a crucial effect on essential fatty acids needed for hair health.

For example; fatty molecules and specifically prostaglandins contribute very much to hair growth but when deficient can contribute to a change in hair texture and increased risk of hair loss. In order for the body to produce prostaglandins they also need an omega 6 fatty acid called arachidonic acid and without sufficent AA the body won't make enough prostaglandins.

As well, very low fat diet generally effect the nutrient absorption of fat soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K which can lead to deficiencies that effect hair health. Also very low fat diets can effect hormone production of estrogen, cortisol, insulin, leptin and progesterone which are also essential for hair health. Add a very low calorie intake, that also can lead to other nutrient deficiencies and stress, both effect hair health. All of this also effect menstrual cycles and a very low fat diet can contribute to PCOS as well, just mentioning that and may not apply to you.

I suspect with your protein comment that your consuming a very high carb diet and most people have been programed to think low fat as well, which has been the basic advice for the last 40 years, I may be wrong, it's just a guess.

If you are consuming a high carb low fat diet and consuming those few calories there is a good chance your dizziness could be from the exercise increasing the demand for glucose which increases the production of insulin driving blood glucose levels lower which can induce hypoglycemia causing dizziness. It can also be dehydration.

Getting back to the prostaglandins and arachidonic acid which are essential for hair and good health in general start with our omega 6 intake. There is a vast difference between the omega 6's in plant and animal food. Plant food omega 6's are derived from LA (linoleic acid) and converting to AA is a lengthy process for the body to make.

First LA is converted to gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) by the enzyme delta-6-desaturase, then this GLA is elongated to dihomo-gamma-linolenic acid (DGLA) by the enzyme elongase, then this DGLA is further desaturated to arachidonic acid (AA) by the enzyme delta-5-desaturase. Basically this is a 3 step conversion which is not very efficient and that conversion rate is anywhere from 1% to 10% and if you happen to be vegetarian that would be more towards the 10% because of the overall time spent doing this conversion making it more efficient, but still not really enough if someone was also consuming very little fat.

I know this is more information that most people want but it is I believe important for you to know and I would highly recommend that you talk to a Dietitian that hopefully understands, your Dr. probably doesn't. Basically, a mostly plant based diet very low in fat might not be the best course of action if that's your protocol, imo. :)
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 857 Member
    Changing a diet can make you dizzy at first. It takes time to adapt especially if you’re not eating the same type of foods or not eating in your routine. Add new exercise to the mix and it can be a recipe for disaster and why so many people fail in their diet.

You need to think about this long term. Do you want to take the weight off and keep it off? Do you want to feel good and eat food that you can stick to indefinitely? The only way to do this is by changing the way you think about this process.

Small changes that create a calorie deficit you can stick to is the best way to reach your goal. Change your rate of loss to .5-1 lb a week, eat “your” food, that makes you feel good and keeps you satiated, and ween yourself into your new calorie goal by eating your exercise calories when you need them.

You can sprint during the marathon and give up, or you can pace yourself and reach the finish line, the choice is yours.
  • _Tannieverse
    _Tannieverse Posts: 6 Member
    According to the info provided-
    *Maintain weight-2044 calories
    *Light weight loss-1794 calories
    *Weight loss- 1544 calories
    *Extreme weight loss-1044 calories
    So, 1200 calories is in between weight loss and extreme weight loss which could be a reason for ur hair fall I suggest eating 1544 calories a day as lesser than that is kinda unhealthy also if u eat too little it would lead to muscle loss and it would be difficult to maintain the weight.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,629 Member
    So, in terms other USA-ians like me would understand, you're about 5'5" and 141 pounds. That would be BMI 23.5, inside the normal BMI range. Your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure, i.e, calories to maintain weight) would probably be around 2000 +/-, based on your exercise routine and assuming the rest of your life (job and such) isn't much added activity. Eating 1200, that would be an estimated 800-ish calorie deficit, expected to be about 0.75 kg (1.6 pounds) per week.

At your size, I'd call that too fast, possibly contributing to the symptoms you're experiencing, so your plan to add calories is a good one. (Note that I'm your height, but a few pounds lighter. I wouldn't remotely consider eating as low as 1200, even though 3x your age.)

I'd observe that the stress of very low calories also has the potential to cause some added water retention, masking fat loss on the scale for some period of time. If your symptoms are caused by too-low calories, some water retention could be happening for you for that reason.

It's also a better plan to get adequate protein, and Neanderthin is correct that you also need some fats in your diet for best health. There's no way to get adequate nutrition from too-low calories, even if you're hitting the default MFP macro percentages. Not getting adequate protein (and/or fats) could contribute to the symptoms you're experiencing, too.

Can I just go "cranky but concerned old internet auntie" on you for a hot minute? At 23, you're in ideal circumstances to build habits that will foster your best possible health and best possible appearance/attractiveness for the whole rest of your life. Please do that. If you want to lose a few pounds, do pick a sensibly moderate loss rate (as others have suggested). If you want your resistance training specifically and exercise generally to pay off in a "toned" body and an attractive energy level/vivacity, get enough protein and fats and micronutrients within those calories. The long-term habits you create now will make the difference in how healthy and fit you are for decades to come.

Honestly, I (now age 68) wish I'd made better choices earlier. You can still do that. Please, please do? Your future self will look back and thank you.

Best wishes!