Sweet-toothed Diabetic on a Diet

Options
Tryxxie2013
Tryxxie2013 Posts: 1,489 Member
I'm in a pickle, aren't I?

I've only been a diabetic for approx. 6 years now (got a bad virus that killed my pancreas) and I have ALWAYS had a sweet tooth. All my friends in high school knew that if you wanted candy, you came to see me.

Now, I am diabetic who's trying to lose a few pounds, but I still need to give in to my sweet cravings.

Would anyone have some really yummy recipes for snacks & desserts that are both low-cal as well as low on sugar?

I'm fine with using Splenda & Stevia in the recipes, but I'd prefer to stay away from things such as Sorbitol, etc...

Thanks fellow MFP! Also, feel free to add me as a friend. I love to motivate & encourage others.

Light, Love & Magick,

Tryxxie

Replies

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,565 Member
    Options
    Hi Tryxxie,

One place I'd check first is googling Truvia or other brands of Stevia. I know there are baking mixes that are half sugar half Splenda, but am not quite sure what the amounts are.

Next. when my Dad was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, we (brother, SIL, and I) found parfaits were one thing that taste good and are low sugar. Double-check that you're okay with the ingredients for pudding, and if so, you can layer the lower sugar berries with pudding or jello and use a whipped cream without sugar or low sugar such as Land-o-Lakes or Redi-Whip (double check that it's the right kind). Needless to say, these treats didn't last too long, he ended up staying level on a daily basis and then having a treat every once and awhile.

I know with the above, I did a lot of searching for diabetic-friendly desserts and a lot came up. I suggest doing that as you'll find the ideas I posted plus more. Sugar-free jello and pudding were in recipes a lot with low sugar berries, but since you're open to Stevia and Splenda, I think you'll have a bigger variety.

There's a magazine with Diabetics in the title that's always at the front of my grocery store and the food always looks amazing. I keep thinking it's Diabetic Eating, but am not positive. I'm sure their website would have good ideas too.

I wish I could help you more, best of luck!
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    My daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 in Nov 2011.

We have found lots of great recipes here http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com/diabetic-recipes/

and more specifically:

http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com/diabetic-recipes/dessert
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have a horrible sweet tooth! I too am diabetic and have found a few simple solutions to stop my sweet tooth.

1) I eat TONS of fruit. Cutting out my sugar has really gave me a low tolerance for sugar, so fruit is more than enough for me. Even if I eat a bag of oranges at a time. lol

2) Protein bars with chocolate chunks. South Beach makes some that is AMAZING! I'm also Gluten Free and it caters to my sweet tooth.

3) I bake...A LOT! I always make sure to have Almond flour, coconut flour and rice flour on hand. Pinterest has some amazing recipes you can convert using these flours. Not to mention, spledna doesn't taste so bad in them!
  • Tryxxie2013
    Tryxxie2013 Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Thank you so very much! I'm going to look into all of these sites and take all of your ideas. :smile:
  • trackme
    trackme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    bump, need ideas too!
  • cherrydale
    cherrydale Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love chocolate and need it-every day! This satisfies my sweet tooth.

Chocolate Pudding

3 Tbsp cocoa powder
    2 Tbsp cornstarch
    1/2 cup Splenda, granulated
    1 1/2 cups milk

Mix dry ingredients together in a large microwave bowl and then add milk, stirring well.
    Microwave approx 3 minutes, stir, and cook an additional minute. I have to watch mine-
    sometimes it creeps up and bowl and out over. I divide it between 4 custard cups and cool..