Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Joint trouble

Hi all, i have suffered with knee, hip and foot pains for sometime since having got into my thirties and it occurs a lot during cold temperatures, damp airy days and due to hieghtened anxiety levels.

I used to do over four hour walks years back but only recently been advised to reduce the time spent on my walks due to the trouble with my left leg. It's depressing, I've tried a cold pack, tried a hot water bottle, resting up, doing two hour walks and not go over two hours. Most the time it's an hour and few minutes I do my walks as I panic about going over the two hour marker.

could anyone possibly give me any idea as to what I could do about this?

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,989 Member
    Have you seen a doctor about this? You don't say who "advised" you to just reduce your activity.

You could have a treatable condition, such as arthritis, which could be treated with physical therapy and/or medication.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,774 Member
    Second the idea to see your doctor first.

I have arthritic knees, passed genetically from my mother (thanks, Mom). I have experimented with various OTC (over-the-counter, as in no prescription needed) supplements on the shelves by the pharmacy. Some of them helped a little (glucosamine) but the one which has literally changed my life for the better is flaxseed oil and omega-3's from fish oil. You can get them separate or as a single pill, but I swear by them and will praise them from the rooftops.

I also am an advocate of lifting weights helping my knees. Doesn't have to be massive weights, but adding some resistance exercises to your routine in addition to walking may help. Just another possible suggestion.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,086 Member
    Go to an orthopedic surgeon. Don't screw around with a GP.
  • Sparkuvu
    Sparkuvu Posts: 2,696 Member
    edited August 13
    If Doc gave original advise, slow down the walks but pick up on substitute. If not doc, start there.
    If there's good reason you can't do PT, many post on utube. I have found knee exercise found there helpful, also to wear a good knee brace as soon as it even twinges.
    Highly recommend water aerobics, it takes 95% of your body weight off your joints but offers just as good fitness benefit.
    Skeptical of this, but one person I know well, swears by good castar oil rubbing daily on sore joints. Our Grandparents used this, so it's not really new like the kids think!
    Don't give up! When you stop moving, it only makes matters worse!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,321 Member
    It Is depressing...I had achilles tendon problem for two or more years.. and then a knee problem. I'm finally all better. I tried everything and listened to everyone. What I did was ignore all the advice to exercise and do extreme stretches. I rested and used Advil to get the pain under control. I took the advice that knee and foot pain comes from a problem up the chain.. meaning exercise your glutes to strengthen your hips and it takes the pressure off the other joints. I also did self massage and bought good tennis shoes and switched them out often. I'm now back 100 percent. I thought it would never happen.