35 kcal?! 35000 calories????

Options
I'm making a mushroom sauce thing, and it's polish so it says 35 kcal. but when i google that turns into 35000 calories! that can not possibly be true since the package says its a healthy alternative.

Replies

• alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Kcal = kilo calorie = 1000 calories

Usually when people talk about calories they use the word mistakenly and mean kilo calories.
  • m012192
    m012192 Posts: 45
    Options
    but in poland they use kilokalories. so the package says 35 kilocalories. i really don't think that would be 350000 calories.
  • ecgravatt
    ecgravatt Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    for all intents and purposes, kilocalories and calories are equal. AKA 35 kilocalories is 35 calories. The rest of the world uses kilocalories, the US uses calories.
  • antiadipose
    antiadipose Posts: 447
    Options
    ooooo ive always wondered the same because my boyfriend is english and he always brings me wispa bars and my favorite cereal and alpen bars.... and theyre alll in kcals.
  • m012192
    m012192 Posts: 45
    Options
    well i hope its only 35 calories.lol
    thanks!:)
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Kcal is the english equivalent to a calorie, its the same thing
  • alantin
    Options
    This site uses kilo calories too.

"k" means "a thousand" so 35 kilo calories converted to calories becomes 35000. (35 * 1000 = 35000)

100 ml of coca cola has about 46 kcal's or 46000 calories

It's just easier to say "calorie" than "kilo calorie" in a conversation.
  • mlagena
    mlagena Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I looked up the same thing since we just moved to the UK. I think it's a one for one concerning nutrition labels.... thats what I got from this (http://caloriecount.about.com/cal-vs-kcal-ft26383) post anyway... :huh:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options

No. 100 ml of coca cola would be closer to 50 calories since 250 ml is 8 oz. and 8 oz. of coca cola is about 100 or 110 calories. 46 kcals = 46 cals.
  • alantin
    Options

No. 100 ml of coca cola would be closer to 50 calories since 250 ml is 8 oz. and 8 oz. of coca cola is about 100 or 110 calories. kcals = cals.

LoL
    Okay. Sorry.
    I just pulled my number from the side of a Coca Cola cherry bottle so my bad!
    100 ml of Coca Cola cherry has 46 kcal's. :laugh:

8 oz is 250 ml ? Good to know. Thanks! I have been wondering that but never took the time to check. :flowerforyou:
  • alantin
    Options
    I looked up the same thing since we just moved to the UK. I think it's a one for one concerning nutrition labels.... thats what I got from this (http://caloriecount.about.com/cal-vs-kcal-ft26383) post anyway... :huh:

So they really print "cal" to nutritional information labels in the States?
    I Didn't know that! :huh:
  • alantin
    Options
    Just to totally bust in on this...

It's a funny physics thing. In the US, notice how the labels are Calorie (note the CAPITAL c), that indicates 1000. There's nothing wrong with how we label stuff, it's just the notation that is being used. One of those fun things you try to forget after you get out of college. Technically when we talk on here about things having 100 calories, we're wrong. It's that the serving has 100 Calories.

1 Calorie = 1kcal = 1000 calories.

That's been my dork post for the day.

Not at all!
    That cleared it up for me!
    I never knew the significance of the capital C.
  • mizmatchmaker
    mizmatchmaker Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    They are actually exactly the same.
    In scientific circles a kcal is 1000 calories but the term calorie used in dietary circles (the one used in nutritional values) is an abbreviation for kilocalories (kcals).

So 1 calorie is equal to 1 kcal.
    Let's Try again...

The term, "Calorie" goes back to 1824, when it was used as a measure of energy. Since then, it's been replaced in most scientific usage with the joule. However, in Nutrition, it lives on -- kinda. Let me explain:

The original "calorie" (note the lower-case "c") was roughly the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 degree C. For Nutrition, this is a tiny amount of energy -- so small it's nearly useless. So when people talked energy and Nutrition, they started using the Calorie (note the upper-case "C"), which was meant to refer to the amount of energy required to raise 1 kilogram of water by 1C degree. This is known as a Large Calorie, a Calorie, or a kilocalorie (note the lower case "c" in "kilocalorie) or Kcal.

So 1 Calorie = 1 Kcal = 1,000 calories.

I looked it up and this is what i found, it helped me to understand so I hope it helps someone else
  • anewlife1980
    anewlife1980 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    bumping this up for other people to use :-)
  • djlosthejester
    Options
    Not true. I have this protein shake in which the sample says kcal but the jar says cal but they're the same numbers
  • Melanie2610
    Options
    According to map my walk I burned 48 kCal but when I enter that into myfitnesspal it says 125 Calories. So this clearly isn't the same thing... and it's bollocks and putting me off even bothering to watch what I burn etc...
    Who in their right mind would create something different that means the same... bloody English.... over it.:sad:
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Kcal = kilo calorie = 1000 calories

Usually when people talk about calories they use the word mistakenly and mean kilo calories.
    this, and not only in the US.
  • SirDoctorofTARDIS
    SirDoctorofTARDIS Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    big thing people are missing here calorie does NOT equal Calorie (confusing I know). A Calorie is the same as kcal. Capital C and lower case c makes a big difference.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    lol this is confusing...I got some stuff before that uses kj as energy unit...I gave up on that one...