Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Feeling stuck, board and life is stuck

I've been feeling frustrated and that my life is stalled and need a new challenge .. family life is great but work life feels like a boar stuck in a rutt I don't get any enjoyment outy job anymore.
Fitness has stalled as gain mostly because ofy job I know need something new but I have keep rook over family head .

Just been feeling low frustrated and even questioned mu on existence at times. Think to my self am better than this but stuck . I have friends to talk and my wife but talking to someone outside my circle I think would help . What u guys think

Replies

• Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 491 Member
    I think the most positive change you could consider is a job change. Maybe find some extra training to help move you up a level.

Or- get a pet alligator. That would liven things up
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 1,357 Member
    edited August 16
    If job change takes awhile, maybe Family hobbies? Or, your own?

Gramps got way into setting up model trains with a group of fellow train enthusiasts. Another got into master grilling...

We never know who we help, today or even later, when we share life with people. Our area is expecting 100+ volunteers to clean up an area. Maybe help with habitat homes, or other volunteers - a good way to meet others... but just know, whatever you do, what you do does matter.

<3
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,629 Member
    I've been feeling frustrated and that my life is stalled and need a new challenge .. family life is great but work life feels like a boar stuck in a rutt I don't get any enjoyment outy job anymore.
    Fitness has stalled as gain mostly because ofy job I know need something new but I have keep rook over family head .

Just been feeling low frustrated and even questioned mu on existence at times. Think to my self am better than this but stuck . I have friends to talk and my wife but talking to someone outside my circle I think would help . What u guys think

Nurturing your family - which keeping a roof over their heads is part of - is IMO noble work . . . but it's a thing that I don't think people get enough appreciation or credit for. You're not just sustaining your family members, you're moving humanity forward into a positive future by putting in your piece of that effort.

I know that we tend to want more, in a culture where there's so much emphasis on self-fulfillment. I'm not saying that's wrong! I'm guessing that time constraints may limit the self-fulfillment you can seek from exercise or other pursuits? If not, things like volunteerism as suggested might be rewarding.

If you're feeling like you need to talk with someone outside your circle, then definitely do that. If you have a pastor/minister/priest that could be an option, or if you have a large employer there might be options there, or community organizations. These days, we can even access coaches or counselors online or via things like Facetime/Zoom. There should be no more stigma attached to seeking professional counselors for help with problem thought patterns than there is from seeking out a mechanic when the car is making worrisome noises. That's what professionals are there for. Sometimes there are public health service sources of one sort or another than offer free or low-cost services, too.

Sometimes individual activities can help, too. I'm thinking of things like meditation or prayer, journaling, etc. Yes, those take time, but only a few minutes a day for a basic practice, and the when/where/how is quite flexible. These days, there are free meditation apps or YouTubes, including completely non-religious things like relaxation response (http://www.relaxationresponse.org/steps/ is one source).

Honestly, I think recognizing this and reaching out here is a great first step. From my own experience, I'd predict that any manageable further steps you take to improve the situation will feel self-empowering, even if they don't result in an immediate or total solution.

I'm cheering for you to find a positive path here, even as a total stranger!

• Alice89580
    Alice89580 Posts: 4 Member
    It's common to feel like your life has stagnated, especially if you've been prioritizing your family and possibly neglecting your own needs and pursuits. This emotion doesn't mean you've done anything wrong, but it's a reminder that you may need to readjust the balance in your life. This challenging time doesn't mean you're not doing enough, but it's a sign that it's time to find new direction and energy for yourself.
  • jess2023mac
    jess2023mac Posts: 41 Member
    My response might sound flippant but I often feel that 'stuck in my life' way. I have 2 dogs and honestly don't know what I'll do without them. They're both 12.5 so I know their time is limited. Dogs are such great lovable companions. They take you out of your own head, keep you occupied, love you unconditionally, etc. But that's just me, I'm a dog lover. :)

Are there support groups nearby? Or groups that offer similar interests that you might have? Locally, we have walking groups, book clubs, etc. I love the volunteer suggestion. We have an online forum called Front Porch Forum that I'm a member of and all kinds of questions are posted such as people looking for certain groups or trying to create a group.

If it's therapy you're seriously thinking of, go for it! Finding a good fit is important. Or what about a life coach? I don't know much about them but it sounds like you might benefit from that?

Remember to take time out of every day life to take care of yourself. Maybe being out in nature would help you; hiking, gardening, biking, bird watching.

Find your passion to spark your life up again. Change your job if you're truly unhappy there. It wouldn't hurt just to see what's out there.

Good luck in finding changes that'll leave you feeling contented.