Pulled calf or Cramping

I was on a 1-2 mile run when I felt my right calf tighten up I was able to finish that lap and afterwards I did some stretching and decided it was best not to push it and called it a day. A whole week went by and my calf is still sore I attempted to run today and after only .25 of a mile I felt my calf tighten up again. My only concern is I start a very intense training program in 2 weeks and I can’t afford to not be able to run. Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,333 Member
    edited August 14
    Are you using foam rollers? I find they help a lot...but if you've been stretching and it still hurts after a week maybe it's time to bite the bullet and get a doctor's appointment.

I say that as someone who never goes to the doctor unless I just can't use the limb at all - but I don't really know how "sore" you mean! If you're still able to walk on it, in my world I would figure it probably just needs more time.
  • ErickM5500
    ErickM5500 Posts: 20 Member
    I’m still able to walk and yes Ive been using rollers and a massage gun.
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 393 Member
    I typically try to up my water and potassium intake and maybe take an epsom salt bath, but that is just what seems to work for me. Sometimes it just needs time though!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,333 Member
    So, if this "intense training program" is recreational, maybe reschedule it. If it's for a job, I'd go see a doctor now. They could send you to Physical Therapy and maybe you'd still be able to get through the training. Two weeks might be wishful thinking though. If it's for a job I might call them and tell them you are scheduled to see your doctor but you're not sure you'll be 100% for the training and see what they say.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,731 Member
    Are you doing a good warm-up when starting your exercise? Going from sitting to a fast hard run or speed intervals doesn't let the muscles warm up sufficiently.

Cramping can be from a vitamin deficiency (i.e. magnesium) so you might try supplements if you think you may be low.