bandatx Posts: 9 Member
Sometimes I don't have time for long walks
Does walking in place work as well do steps count that way as well
I'm trying to get to 10k steps

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    edited August 14
    Lots of people here use treadmills. At the very start of the pandemic I was doing laps of the house to get some steps/exercise rings in.

Granted, it was boring as all get out, but I added 100 flights of stairs in. Drove the cats nuts but it was a great workout.

I prefer outdoors, though, because even though I walk on a cement trail (brick pavers in many locations) I got a bit of elevation change, you have to adjust your stride etc for curbs, unevenness, etc , plus I listen to podcasts. Were I to listen to podcasts on earbuds at home, my husband would think I was tuning him out.

But seriously, ANY movement is good movement. I can easily get 5,000 steps in just cleaning house and doing laundry.

lol during the pandemic I was cleaning house every day, just to have something to do, before we realized nobody was on the bike path, so we just took it over. It was lovely, having it to ourselves.
  • TracyL963
    TracyL963 Posts: 101 Member
    edited August 14
    Google Walk At Home on Youtube.

Lots of walking style workouts come up. Marching in place, side steps, knee lifts.....add some arm movements too. More interesting than just marching in place. I think my pedometer registers better when I moving toward something.

This is a favorite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3q5e1pV4pc
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,734 Member
    I agree with the above posters. And yes, occasionally when I'm watching TV I'll march in place. I have a padded mat that I use. Even better to add in arm movements and different types of steps.

My Fitbit registers steps better when I'm actually moving forward (as @TracyL963 said), but it still counts steps. Besides, regardless of steps being counted by a device or not, as long as you're moving, you're doing a good thing for your body.