What are some low-calorie macro friendly meals?

To add to this question, which foods have the best fat, protein, and carb to calorie ratio?
I know oil is a good source of fat but do y'all know any other good sources for fat and the other macros?
Tagged:

Answers

• Justshapes
    Justshapes Posts: 15 Member
    My night time snack is two scrambled eggs with the small tin of sundried tomato tuna from walmart with a small amount of coconut oil just so it doesn’t stick. High in protein, low cal, filling and low carb.
  • Justshapes
    Justshapes Posts: 15 Member
    Can also add the sweet chilli thai tuna- both great value brand. So good.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,726 Member
    aliciaaokk wrote: »
    To add to this question, which foods have the best fat, protein, and carb to calorie ratio?
    I know oil is a good source of fat but do y'all know any other good sources for fat and the other macros?

Not sure what you mean by 'best fat, protein and carb to calorie ratio'? Fat has 9 kcal per gram and carbs and protein 4 kcal per gram, no matter what the source is.

Healthy fats: generally speaking unsaturated fats are considered healthier than saturated. So vegetable oils yes, but also avocado, nuts, seeds and fatty fish.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 301 Member
    edited August 17
    Protein is the most important macro on any diet. Skimp on protein and you'll risk losing muscle mass. The lowest calorie sources of protein are chicken, turkey, seafood, and protein powders. Get your protein dialed in and worry less about carbs and fats except for the calories. Oils have fats, but they also pack lots of calories so don't go overboard.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    aliciaaokk wrote: »

It's not really an issue for individual foods. What matters is the totality of a person's eating, how that adds up and balances out.

It's calories that directly determine fat gain or loss. Nutrition is important for health, energy level and that sort of thing, of course, so nutrition can matter indirectly for body weight through appetite or energy level.

If a person is concerned about good nutrition, what mainly matters is the total average level of each essential nutrition over a day or few. It's fine to get mostly protein from some foods, healthy fats from other foods, essential micronutrients (like vitamins and minerals) from still other foods. As long as the totals are reasonably close to rational goals over that day or few, it'll be fine.

As far as fats: Most developed-world people get plenty of saturated fats, but don't necessarily balance those with mono- and polyunsaturated fats. Eating more of things like nuts, nut butter, seeds, avocados, olive oil (among other things) can help balance that out. Similarly, it's common for people to get more Omega-6 fats, but not proportionally enough Omega-3s. That can balance out better by including foods like cold-water fatty fish in one's eating routine. It's not about "best fats", IMU, it's about reasonable balance.

It's true that many people get sub-ideal protein when reducing calories, so I agree that that is important. But I disagree with the PP that implies that fats aren't important (and maybe are a thing to minimize because they're calorie dense?).

Fats contain essential fatty acids (EFAs), something our bodies need to get from food that contains those EFAs. We need some minimum of those EFAs for ideal nutrition, so we need some minimum of fats in order to thrive. They affect the brain, cell health, hormone balance, digestive throughput, and more. Many people do get adequate fats without paying them much attention, but that's not true for everyone.

I fear I'm making this sound really complex, but there's no great need to obsess about it. Humans are adaptive omnivores, so we don't need to instantly be perfect on all nutritional goals, and reasonable is fine in the long run (perfection isn't essential).

If you happen to be a person with a diagnosed nutritional deficiency or serious diet-relevant health condition, ask your doctor for a referral to a registered dietitian for specialized assistance. For those of us not in one of those groups, we can take a bit of time to learn, adjust, and adapt our eating habits.

Best wishes!