More active and surrounded by food at my new job. Please help!

angiejim0415
angiejim0415 Posts: 21 Member
I've lost 30 lb before and was about halfway to my goal weight before I got pregnant. It's been 2 years, and I've kept that weight off. I'm now ready to lose that next 30 lb. However, I've since changed jobs and have encountered new challenges. I work in a grocery store, and I love what I do. Part of the problem is that I am walking back and forth and lifting heavy boxes for 8-9 hours a day. So I constantly feel like I'm starving. The other part is that I'm surrounded by easily-accessible, high calorie foods, and it's making it very difficult to stay within my calorie limits. (My calorie calculator is set to very active, and I only have it set to losing 1 lb a week.) Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Best Answers

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    edited August 17 Answer ✓
    And could you take some prepacked snacks? I am retired but a slow, rather boring volunteer gig as a desk clerk leaves me reaching for boredom food. I pack recycle cottage cheese container full of baby carrots, cucumber spears, and radish slices. I have a tiny little co trainer fill with a zero or low cal dressing to use as a dip. I can pop that thing open and closed during my shift for a small, low cal snack instead of the almost invisible, thoughtless M&Ms I used to keep on hand. I supplement with a Nugo coconut bar for when I know I’ll be at my hungriest while there.
  • JeanGenie12
    JeanGenie12 Posts: 14 Member
    Answer ✓
    I’m in the same industry and sometimes it has been a struggle. I’m half admin and half walking around so walk a few in each day at work. Means by lunchtime I’m starving which is where I make some poor choices.

I’ve started leaving cask and card at home. I prep enough for the whole day and when I’ve had lunch I’m full. Other times I’ve been off to the bakery dept to find lunch. I find it really helps
  • angiejim0415
    angiejim0415 Posts: 21 Member
    Answer ✓
    I’m in the same industry and sometimes it has been a struggle. I’m half admin and half walking around so walk a few in each day at work. Means by lunchtime I’m starving which is where I make some poor choices.

I’ve started leaving cask and card at home. I prep enough for the whole day and when I’ve had lunch I’m full. Other times I’ve been off to the bakery dept to find lunch. I find it really helps

The hot bar in the deli and the Pop-Tart aisle are my sworn enemies 🤣. I usually leave my money in my locker, but you make a good point. I probably need to just leave it at home.

Answers

• csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,187 Member
    Can you just set a standard that you only eat what you packed from home when on a shift? Never plan to grab something there and hope you’ll make the right choice.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,853 Member
    Have you set your activity setting correctly? If you walk around a whole shift and carry heavy boxes then you're likely active or very active. This gives you more calories to eat. And you should eat them. But try to bring your own food
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    This ^^^^

Carrying boxes and more steps is def increased activity.

If you were doing a lower activity job before, going and change your activity level on your profile. You deserve - and need- more calories for the increased physicality of your new job.

Do you have a fitness tracker? Does it shows steps up? More love rings closed?

If not, invest in or borrow one. Mine radicalized how I looked at food versus activity. It was like the puzzle fell into place. “Ohhhhhhh, this in equals that, that must go out (i e burned)!”
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,157 Member
    edited August 18
    Your eating food at your job which is putting you over your calorie limits, is that what your saying?
  • caffeinetanya
    caffeinetanya Posts: 16 Member
    I used to work at a grocery store, though not as much walking. Just refuse to allow yourself to buy anything full price. I only bought deep discounted things I liked (generally breads near closing time) which were meant to be ate at home. Bring something you find fun and filling into work if you can. Make sure you also give yourself that treat to have too. Maybe mini chocolate bars or some chips etc. just fit it into your calorie allowance before going to work, so it’s less tempting.
  • Rxman1971
    Rxman1971 Posts: 362 Member
    Snack from the outside aisle of the grocery store. The processed food I'd in the middle
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,331 Member
    Rxman1971 wrote: »
    Snack from the outside aisle of the grocery store. The processed food I'd in the middle

The outside aisle is unequivocally the best aisle in the whole dang store at my grocery. That's where they keep the wine! Granted, wine is probably not the best work snack, but it will always be there at closing time
  • SteveinChicago
    SteveinChicago Posts: 24 Member
    csplatt wrote: »
    Can you just set a standard that you only eat what you packed from home when on a shift? Never plan to grab something there and hope you’ll make the right choice.

Or at least pick out a healthy lunch or snack at the start of your shift, and stick to that, rather than deciding what to eat later when you're hungry.