Random, but veiny hands?

My hands are very veiny. To a certain degree they always have been even since I was little which I think may potentially be genetic since my grandmas and aunts all had veiny hands. But lately I've noticed my veins become so prominent, I look dead lol.
What does this mean? My friends and family have noticed it and made fun of it haha. My mom said it's a sign of dehydration, so now everytime I see her she makes me chug water. But I'm somewhat concerned, is it a sign of an underlying deficiency or issue?

Answers

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,726 Member
    My veins become way more visible when it's hot or during/after exercise. They've also become more visible as I lost weight and became more active.

I think they become more visible with age because the skin becomes thinner.

As for dehydration, I think it makes veins thinner (harder for doctors to take blood) so rather less visible than more.

Not sure if there à possible medical issues. Google mentioned the possibility of a blood clot if the change was sudden (but I would think that it would also be asymmetrical then, unlikely to have blood clots in both arms, and also your wording makes me think it isn't a very sudden recent change).
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Are you hypermobile / do you have POTs? Check those out on google!

Alternatively you might just have… visible veins 🤷‍♂️