Horrible w/ Food

Hello everyone. I’m am really thinking in my head that I am going to try this, to really follow a plan and shed some weight. That’s IN MY HEAD, but normally, I just don’t really do anything to help myself. But I am in my late 40’s and my husband has high BP & high cholesterol, and he is really encouraging me to take better care of me.
Food has been everything to me. My life I have not cared what I eat. But I am trying to find new ways to change that.
If anyone wants to buddy up please reach out.

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    esmall1831 wrote: »
    Hello everyone. I’m am really thinking in my head that I am going to try this, to really follow a plan and shed some weight. That’s IN MY HEAD, but normally, I just don’t really do anything to help myself. But I am in my late 40’s and my husband has high BP & high cholesterol, and he is really encouraging me to take better care of me.
    Food has been everything to me. My life I have not cared what I eat. But I am trying to find new ways to change that.
    If anyone wants to buddy up please reach out.

Welcome to MFP!

I’m 62 now, but you describe me at 56.

All I can tell you is, get out of your head and into your body for a while.

Get rid of words like “can’t” and “horrible”. Focus on making better choices and learning new habits, so you can maintain without regain.

If you really pay attention to what you enjoy eating, weigh and log it, learn simple substitutions, learn to love smaller portions, incorporate exercise (“just” walking is great exercise!) into your daily routine, it will actually come pretty easy.

I went from a 22W to a 4, and have been hanging steady in that size for about five years now. Whatever or however you eat, I can pretty much guarantee I out-ate you with one fork tied behind my back. If stupid, nutritional ignorant, chronically exercise deficient me could do this, I have faith anyone else can do it. Last time I checked, no unicorn horn here! 🦄
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    Good advice (as usual) from Springlering62 upthread.

For myself, I figure that if I say I want to achieve some goal, know the things I'd have to do to reach it, and don't do any of those things . . . well, I didn't really mean it. I was that way about weight loss for decades. Wishful thinking, no action.

I don't know exactly what finally flipped the switch in my head to "committed". If I did, I'd bottle that and sell it, make millions. Some of it was some very real and very serious health threats that I wanted to avoid making worse. That at least got me started.

A thing that helped keep me going was that once I started, and made a good plan, one that suited me well . . . losing weight was much more straightforward than I'd ever dreamed possible. Not easy every single second, of course, but the methods were simple, doable. I'd blown it up in my imagination to be some daunting, impossible thing. Hah, no. Surprise!

I figure that if a hedonistic aging hippie flake like me can do it - one who's menopausal and severely hypothyroid (medicated), besides, which many people think are hard roadblocks - probably most other people can do it, too.

I used to be class 1 obese. I'd been overweight to obese for around 30 years at that point. Now I'm slim, and reasonably fit besides, and have been both for around 8 years. The quality of life benefits from either of those two things have been huge, and the combination of the two is completely gangbusters. I'd like to see everyone have that.

I'm cheering for you to succeed!