New to myfitnesspal

strawterese3988
strawterese3988 Posts: 1 Member
edited August 18 in Getting Started
Hi I'm just starting the program ,just got test results from doctor and need to lower cholesterol, don't want to take statin pills any help would be great. Also need to lose weight about 100 pounds

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    Hello, and welcome!

That's probably the main reason I finally committed to lose weight: I didn't want to take a statin.

For me, MFP was a great help. I used the guided set-up to get a starting goal, followed that long enough (4-6 weeks or so) to get enough results data to average out, then adjusted based on experience. That worked great, for me.

This may not be true for people with familial hypercholesterolemia (i.e., unfavorable genetics), but my cholesterol and triglycerides levels dropped from high to solidly normal part way through weight loss, and have stayed there for almost 9 years since, even gradually improving a bit more along the way . . . entirely without medication. At my last doctor's appointment, my doctor called my levels "phenomenal" (exact word!) and said she wished everyone's were that good.

My best advice would be not to try to lose weight crazy fast, or believe you need to rely on restrictive, trendy named diets, or start punitively intense and unpleasant exercise. Just getting calorie intake on average to the right level for moderate, manageable, steady weight loss can work just fine.

Wishing you success: The results are worth the effort!
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 503 Member
    Welcome!
    Go slow and steady- develop a routine that is sustainable.