What's the problem with me eating a dinner of ice cream treats?

I have recently discovered that it seems to work for my dinner to entirely consist of the whole Greek oatmeal I like. I also keep lettuce and other fruits and vegetables I eat at a different random time in the night.

I think Greek oatmeal works and I can have 500 to 1000+ calories depending on the brand.

Why can't I buy a few ice cream drumsticks for ~900 calories and do the same?
Tagged:

Answers

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    You can.

Personally - even though I routinely eat some frozen treats, frozen yogurt or ice cream - I probably wouldn't go full bore on replacing thing like oatmeal, veggies and fruits with ice cream drumsticks. It's the calories that directly determine fat gain/loss, I believe. If weight loss is the only goal, the "all ice cream drumsticks" diet could work.

But the reasons I wouldn't do a full replacement myself include:
    * I think well rounded nutrition matters for health, and I want to be healthy, not just stay thin. Athletic performance also matters to me, and that depends on at least reasonable nutrition.
    * Personally, I wouldn't find ice cream drumsticks sufficiently filling. I'd be more likely to have problems with appetite/cravings, and exceed my calorie goal.
    * I'm kind of a food snob/hedonist, and I don't love ice cream drumsticks that much. The chocolate part is sub-par ("chocolatey") in most varieties, it isn't the tastiest ice cream IMO, the nuts sometimes taste a little stale, and I've never been a fan of that type of cone. But that's just me, and I don't think others need to share my tastes.

There's more, but for me, those are the biggies. If it appeals to you, why not try it? As long as you're not already insulin resistant, diabetic, or something like that, the worst that can happen in the short run would be appetite issues, I think. If it makes you happy, and achieves your goals (which may differ from mine), that could be OK. (I admit, I'd still have reservations about the impact of sub-par nutrition in the long run, but I'm conservative in that way.)

If you try the experiment, maybe come back and let us know how it works out, if you feel up to it?

Best wishes!

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,737 Member
    Like Ann said, you certainly can. And if you really, really want to, you can try it for yourself and see how it works for you. The primary issue will probably be that you get too hungry. Otherwise, it's a good idea to keep a varied diet for good nutrition (you know, like Mom always said, eat your veggies).
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 449 Member
    I had one of these for breakfast before. 250 calories. :-)yt86ac0fqtdp.jpeg
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,157 Member
    I love this place. :)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,853 Member
    Sure you can. Personally I would gnaw my arms off a bit later as I'd be hungry again, but if it works for you then nobody is stopping you. For weightloss, only calories count and not where they come from. Now if your food choice keeps you full long enough to be in a calorie deficit is something you have to find out for yourself.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,734 Member
    Go ahead. See how long it takes for you to get tired of them. Then you'll start craving other things. Problem solved.

In all seriousness, listen to the previous posters. They give sound advice.
  • NeedToLoseWeight2000
    NeedToLoseWeight2000 Posts: 25 Member
    When I’m traveling I definitely end up eating an icecream razzle for dinner once in a while. It’s yum, has protein and keeps me full! I would never do it on a consistent basis, but 2-3 times a year seems fair 😊
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,950 Member
    What everyone else said.

Also, assuming you are an adult?
    Literally no one is stopping you from eating nothing but ice cream at every meal.

You can. Certainly.

But you will probably feel like garbage before the day is over.

You do you. See what happens.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    edited August 20
    I’ve been known to eat a pint of homemade ice cream or a large portion of a low cal homemade cheesecake for dinner if the husband is off to a meeting. However, I control the ingredients and know it’s high protein and probably full of fruit.

Not ideal, but, some nutrition there.

Nutrition is the name of the game. I wouldn’t fuel my gas Smart car with electricity because while it works for other vehicles, and mine is extra small and has low fuels needs, it’s still totally inappropriate for fueling my little Smarty properly.

Same with your body.