Chobani Yogurt Recall

Options
Hi everyone! This recall for some Chobani Greek Yogurt products was posted yesterday. Just wanted to share, for those who may have bought these products recently.

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm367298.htm?source=govdelivery&utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery

Replies

• 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! This recall for some Chobani Greek Yogurt products was posted yesterday. Just wanted to share, for those who may have bought these products recently.

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm367298.htm?source=govdelivery&utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery
    I just went to that page. I just bought 32 oz Tub last week. The top was puffed out & when I opened it , it pluffed all over me. I didn't think too much about it. Just thought maybe it got too warm between the store and putting it in my Fridge. Just looked at my container. YUP it is one of them. A little late now. I only have about 1/4 of the container left. :noway:
    I love Chobani. I use it for every thing. I was going to buy some more today. I will take the list with me and check before I buy.
    Thank You so much For the "Heads Up" I would have had no clue otherwise
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    3IkdBUZ.gif
  • dynamitegalxo
    dynamitegalxo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    i'm glad it's an official recall now! i ate FOUR of these damn things with the affected code before i knew anything about a problem with them and i am currently paying the price for it. hopefully i can still get my money back even though i already threw away everything else in my fridge :/
  • annebubbles
    annebubbles Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    this is exactly why I buy FAGE 0% fat yogurt.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I had to toss about 5 6oz containers of the yogurt because they were all affected. That was a bummer because my sister makes me the best lunches using two kinds of the yogurt and some fresh fruit mixed in. I had some earlier that day before I found out about the recall, and it didn't taste right.

Hopefully it'll be all fixed so I can get more this weekend. I'm nervous to try other brands; Chobani is the first one I've tried that I actually like!
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options

It could happen to any product! At least they're being accountable.
  • l0velife1
    l0velife1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    So it's a little late for me, as 2 of the key lime flips have already been eaten. :( They seemed fine so let's hope I got lucky hehe
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Dang!! Bumping so that I can check mine when I get home.
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    bump for later , thanks
  • jcdoerr
    jcdoerr Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I ended up with one of these last week, but it didn't take me long after I'd put the first spoon full in my mouth to figure out that something had gone horribly wrong! :sick: If yogurt ever tastes/feels carbonated, don't eat it. That's a huge red flag that something got into the culture that shouldn't be there. I can't believe that a lot of people (according to the news report anyway) continued to finish the container even though they noticed that something was "off." Really?!?! Oh, and I had a few others from the same batch that were completely fine too...
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    They've known about this for weeks and only issued the recall yesterday. At first they tried to say it was a problem with quality. They're still not saying what the mold is, which is worrisome, especially for those who have gotten sick from them (or especially if their kids have). I stocked up on Flips when they were on sale here a few weeks ago, and all of them were from that batch. I have five in my refrigerator now and probably ate at least that many more. None have exploded or puffed up or anything like that, but I still emailed to request a refund or coupons for replacements. From the posts on their Facebook page, not everybody who has gotten sick ate yogurts that were fizzy or really obviously spoiled (though yeah...if you think something is spoiled and eat it anyway, what do you expect?)

I prefer Fage, but it's 40 cents a cup more expensive than Chobani when neither is on sale. With as much yogurt as I eat and as tight as my grocery budget is these days, I can't always afford that. When my grocery store has them on sale 10 for $10, I usually buy 20.

As much as I like Chobani, I'm going to be hesitant to buy it for awhile.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options

OH Shi+<, seriously. I just went to that page. I just bought 32 oz Tub last week. The top was puffed out & when I opened it , it pluffed all over me. I didn't think too much about it. Just thought maybe it got too warm between the store and putting it in my Fridge. Just looked at my container. YUP it is one of them. A little late now. I only have about 1/4 of the container left. :noway:
    I love Chobani. I use it for every thing. I was going to buy some more today. I will take the list with me and check before I buy.
    Thank You so much For the "Heads Up" I would have had no clue otherwise

did you eat it? how are you feeling? I hope ok.

Your post reminds me of a Hoarders program where the lady said she ate expired food except when it became "puffy".
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    They've known about this for weeks and only issued the recall yesterday. At first they tried to say it was a problem with quality. They're still not saying what the mold is, which is worrisome, especially for those who have gotten sick from them (or especially if their kids have). I stocked up on Flips when they were on sale here a few weeks ago, and all of them were from that batch. I have five in my refrigerator now and probably ate at least that many more. None have exploded or puffed up or anything like that, but I still emailed to request a refund or coupons for replacements. From the posts on their Facebook page, not everybody who has gotten sick ate yogurts that were fizzy or really obviously spoiled (though yeah...if you think something is spoiled and eat it anyway, what do you expect?)

I prefer Fage, but it's 40 cents a cup more expensive than Chobani when neither is on sale. With as much yogurt as I eat and as tight as my grocery budget is these days, I can't always afford that. When my grocery store has them on sale 10 for $10, I usually buy 20.

As much as I like Chobani, I'm going to be hesitant to buy it for awhile.

Do you have a Trader Joe or Whole Foods in your area? At least here both they have Fage very inexpensive, cheaper than Stop and shop or other supermarkets. I get the big tube for $3 something.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, there are no Whole Foods in central Pennsylvania, and the nearest TJ's is about an hour away. I try to shop around to see what store in the area has the best price on Fage. I've become the kind of person who will comparison shop for yogurt--there's something I never would've guessed a year ago!
  • princesshoagie
    princesshoagie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Well this makes sense. I had one of the Chobani Flips (the Coconut one) and when I opened it, it seemed runny and it did have a weird mouth feel. I'm new to greek yogurt though, so I just thought that was the way it was supposed to be. I got pretty nauseous within minutes of eating it. I just thought greek yogurt wasn't for me!! I don't still have the container to compare it to the list, but the timing is right for it to be in that batch. Crazy!
  • sugarkane1234
    sugarkane1234 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I eat greek yogurt every day. Before Chobani came out with the annoucement last week, I had noticed that the 6-oz container I had in the fridge had puffed up even though the exp date was 9/27 and I had Fage containers that had earlier exp dates, so I ate those first. Two days ago I heard about Chobani's problems and lo and behold the 6 oz I had was in the group and so was the 32 oz tub I had in the back of the fridge for recipes. I hadn't noticed, but the the plastic lid on top of the 32 oz had popped off the container because the top of it was so swollen. It's exp date was also 9/27. That's disturbing! I emailed Chobani Wednesday night through their customer satisfaction email and have yet to receive a response. I guess they're inundated...
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    I hadn't eaten any yogurt all year until a few weeks back and
    my 2 go tos were Chobani Greek and Oikos Greek ..
    Last week I finished my last Chobani, was just buying Oikos
    after that .. unless I'm sick and don't know it *looks to see if
    she is a walker*, I'm OK. So maybe I'm lucky I opted to eat
    Oikos instead .. just weird.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    there have been other threads on this topic. Only one plant was affected, and only a very small percentage of production. We keep chobani yogurt stocked in the fridge at all times, and had no affected cartons. I love my chobani yogurt... one little recall (which was well handled and quite clearly not the norm for them) is not going to change my consumer habits.

What baffles me is why anyone would eat a dairy product that was "puffed out" like that. The first thing I would do is toss it and start looking for any recently announced issue/recalls. These things happen... but we are our own first line of defense. Eating obviously suspect foods is a bad practice, no matter who it comes from.
  • l0velife1
    l0velife1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options

It could happen to any product! At least they're being accountable.

Exactly. And this is why I buy both brands when I go out and never set a preference :)
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on that... but Chobani is the cheapest available to me (costco bulk packs FTW). Now I'm hungry :)