Worried...Should I see a Dr??

Options
Ok....something strange has been happening to me the past few days. I want to post this on here before I over react and get other opinions and to see if anyone else has had this happen.

I know that when I am dehydrated my calf muscles will cramp up BAD and this hasnt happened during this past week. With the heat advisory that has been a constant for the past 2 months I have made a point of drinking about a gallon of water a day.

Well this is my problem.... I started working out again this week after taking a month off.... Over the last few days during my workout with weights BEFORE my real cardio, my hands have been doing something strange. The best way to describe it is that my hands lock in a position where the palm of my hand is squeezed together , not a clinched fist, with my thumb and pinkie moving in toward the middle of my hand. My hands also have a numb feeling to them when this happens.

Has anyone had this happen? Should I see a Dr?

Replies

• rac3705
    rac3705 Posts: 1
    Options
    Yes
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Hand and arm contractures are a symptom of hyperventilation. If this happens more than once I would see a doctor. It happens to me when I get very nervous.
  • PaulaDygert
    PaulaDygert Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I would go to the doctor.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Definitely see a doc.
  • dmdaigle17
    dmdaigle17 Posts: 918
    Options
    I would, just to be on the safe side.
  • luv4chelle
    luv4chelle Posts: 15
    Options
    I agree with those symptoms I would see my doctor. I pray everything is alright but never can be too careful when dealing with your body!!
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    If it keeps happening I would definitely see a doctor. It wouldn't hurt.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    It is a sign of low electrolytes. If you drink a lot of water and not have enough salt intake you dilute the salts your body needs too much. Drink some kind of sports drink and increase your salt intake a bit. See if this makes it go away. This is not an uncommon thing to happen to athletes. I make sure to use the propell packets in my water bottle for my long runs and long workouts.

If it continues after a few days, go see a doc. But I think this will clear it up.

Good Luck.
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    I would recommend seeing a doctor for sure. However, a personal trainer also told me that if you are getting muscle cramps, you should be taking more calcium. Take it for what it's worth. I hope everything is ok. :flowerforyou:
  • amoreco
    amoreco Posts: 7
    Options
    See a doctor, each body is different, if you are scard see your doctor for confort of mind.:wink:
  • diet45
    diet45 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Definitely see your dr. You want to make sure you are drinking enough water, but not too much. I also heard potassium....eat bananas for cramps....like one or two a week. I would definitely see your dr. and don't take any chances!!
  • unknownndoll
    unknownndoll Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I think it is also a symptom of not eating enough calories
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Yes see a doctor, but in the mean time drink a sports drink.

During extreme heat your body goes thru water like crazy. That much plain water will reduce the sodium and potassium in your body leading to muscle cramps. Check your food journal for sodium and potassium and make sure to get enough of both. Drinking a sport drink will help. Try to eat a banana a week during heat waves and if you have to add a bit of sea salt to your food. I have problems with the potassium every time I "diet" and end up with charlie horses in my calves and griping problems in my hands.
  • amg5157
    amg5157 Posts: 52
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!!!
  • bridgett28
    bridgett28 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    When I did the Atkins diet years ago, I had gotten very bad leg cramps in the first two weeks because of not getting enough potassium and magnesium in my diet. So first off not only dehydration can cause muscle cramps. I take additional potassium and magnesium everyday to supplement that in my diet. Also, I would recommend PowerAde Zero for additional electrolytes for your body when it is dehydrated. I would go and see a doctor though about the cramping in your hands because it might be a sign of very low levels of certain vitamins and some deficiencies can lead to permanant damage. Please let us know how it goes.