Walking 10k steps a day is amazing!

I'm new to this app just a few weeks ago and I just want to tell to my curvy and big girlies out there, if you feel anxious going to the gym. Just start walking today! Yep! I can't believe that by walking can help you shed off that weight. Don't think about those fitness places, subscriptions or equipment. Just go out today and walk! 🩵
Tagged:

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,333 Member
    I agree. I live near a safe and beautiful walking area, so outdoors walking has been my main form of cardio for years.

It's good for weight loss when paired with an appropriate calorie intake, and it's also great for mental health. :flowerforyou:
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,133 Member
    Walks are a good time to listen to educational podcasts.
  • moonlitrose25
    moonlitrose25 Posts: 58 Member
    I just broke out my dusty walking pad and have been walking on it every day. Doing a slow walk to get my endurance back up. Doing at least a mile each day and tracking every little thing I eat. Lost 11 lbs right out the gate. I know it will slow down but I'm feeling so great!
  • KarinSanden
    KarinSanden Posts: 46 Member
    I walk a lot in periods and I always get a really good extra Swoosh-effect from it. I currently have an average of 13 000 steps a day and some days up to 25 000 steps. My trick to get really high numbers is many shorter walks during the day.

20 min morning walk
    Walk to next bus stop instead of closest
    Walk from train to work (2,5 km)
    Walk 20 min on lunch break
    Walk from job to train
    Jump off 2 stops early on the local bus and walk home
    Walk to gym (2,2 km)
    Exercise on gym
    Walk back home from gym

== Easily 25 000 steps without me really making an effort.

Walk 25 000 steps on a single hike -> it is a struggle for real!
  • Overheadfan
    Overheadfan Posts: 70 Member
    I agree ..and a shout out to all the walkers out there. :)
    I'm 61 years of age and have been a fairly consistent walker over the decades, but aches and pains and losing fitness from extra weight was definitely not helping me to become more motivated. I was getting slower and probably not covering enough distance to make a significant difference. I felt stuck and basically getting nowhere in my weightloss quest.

Then l I discovered MFP and started tracking my food and exercise. Now I'm a bit of a demon, trying to find added ways to increase steps and activity in general. It helped me realise that movement is great for physical and mental wellbeing, but tracking my food intake was critical in starting to shift the 20 kgs I gained during menopause.
    I also occasionally add a different type of walking . Everyday I walk our dog ( moderate pace beach walk) for 40 mins but in addition I started to use an online walking walkout called Get Fit With Rick. :)
    Seriously good fun, great tunes and it got me busting out a couple of speed indoor walks per day. Increasing my speed for 10, 15 or 20 minute bursts has really increased my fitness ..and it's an efficient way of quickly adding to my step count.
    Extra bonus...I can do it in the comfort of my air-conditioned home during our brutal summers.
  • TracyL963
    TracyL963 Posts: 101 Member
    I second Get Fit With Rick. Jessica Smith TV also. Rainy today, took my walk indoors.