Not sure how to cut numbers

So I am new to all this and I can easily keep my calories to 1200 (usually way less) especially when I add in all my exercise. BUT….my LDL cholesterol is high and it appears SO many things have sugar and I go over that in my goals….any suggestions on what to have to lower my cholesterol & sugar?

I was always so extremely thin I never had to “watch what I ate” so trying to learn healthy choices has been difficult.

Answers

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,737 Member
    This really is a conversation to have with your doctor. Describing yourself as extremely thin and eating 1200 or fewer calories really is textbook eating disorder. Unless you have cancer. Either of which necessitates a doctor's help.
  • trishy466
    trishy466 Posts: 3 Member
    I “use to be” really thin (growing up through my late thirties) now in my 50’s I’d like to lose 25 lbs. I did talk to my doctor- it’s how I learned my LDL was so high. She recommended less meat, cheese & eggs and more veggies and fruit. However, I don’t eat much red meat at all- mostly a chicken gal, I do eat veggies and I have beefed up my fruit intake.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    Weight loss in itself may help with the LDL. It did for me (at age 59).

Regular exercise can also help. It needn't be some punitively intense, miserable thing, just something enjoyable (at least tolerable/practical) that fits into your life well. Some common choices are things like walking, swimming, biking, active video or VR games, dancing of many sorts, etc. Start with something that's just a manageable bit of challenge, and evolve from there.

If you aren't already, also stick with mostly so-called whole foods (lean meats, fish, seafood; veggies; fruits; whole grains). Reduce highly-processed foods, snack foods, baked goods, fast food, fried foods, and that sort of thing (though it's probably not necessary to put them 100% off limits if you can eat them occasionally in moderation).

Also, if most of your fats are coming from meats/cheese and other saturated fat sources, consider getting more of it from things like nuts, seeds, avocados, olive oil, for better balance of fats. Many people get disproportionately much of Omega-6 fats (from the commonest oils in processed/fast foods, generally) and little of Omega-3 fats (from things like fatty cold-water fish, for example). Again, balance is a good goal, not extremes, IMO.

Please don't eat "way less" than 1200 calories. That isn't a path of thriving for any 50 year old woman who is even close to average height, 25 pounds overweight, and with a typical developed-world lifestyle (even a sedentary one). Even 1200 would be too low for many - it was too low for me! - even though doctors often recommend that calorie level.

Best wishes: Success is out there, but extremes aren't the best route.

• Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,489 Member
    I agree with everything Ann said.
    Stress be active. Any and all activity counts. It's just easier if it's fun!
    Stress eat healthier. Doesn't have to be perfect today. Just start where you are. Add some healthy foods tomorrow. That will squeeze out some bad things there isn't room for. Try to make every day better than the day before, every week better than the week before.
    Don't stress about it! Just start.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,157 Member
    edited August 29
    trishy466 wrote: »
    I “use to be” really thin (growing up through my late thirties) now in my 50’s I’d like to lose 25 lbs. I did talk to my doctor- it’s how I learned my LDL was so high. She recommended less meat, cheese & eggs and more veggies and fruit. However, I don’t eat much red meat at all- mostly a chicken gal, I do eat veggies and I have beefed up my fruit intake.

Yeah, most Dr's don't actually have a clue about nutrition or cholesterol for that matter and it appears from that advice neither does your Dr, imo. Can't really blame them, this has been the type of training for decades and they're also required to follow strict guidelines otherwise they can lose their medical license and one of the main reasons lately that thousands of doctors are leaving main stream medicine and opening their own clinics or becoming involved in one, it's been a mass exodus really and mostly because "do no harm" is actually alive and well and it does mean something and frankly doctors are tired of watching their patients get worse instead of better.

If your truly worried about your heart health then ask your Dr. for a CAC (calcium test) to actually see if you have anything to worry about in the first place because someones LDL isn't a good proxy for heart disease or have your Dr. check your C-reactive protein in your diet which correlates to your triglyceride levels where the lower is better. If your Dr wonders why you want these checked, it's probably a good indicator you need to talk to another Doctor.

Cholesterol levels are a funny thing and if you actually research it you'll find that higher cholesterol is actually protective as we age and apparently that's even more prevalent in the female population where it effects mortality and cognition which was interesting but considering the brain is about 25% cholesterol by mass anyway, that's not surprising and I would think our omega levels and especially our DHA levels would be a factor, anyway I degress, lol.

We all can be more healthy but if most of your food is from what appears to be whole foods, your not doing that bad. As we age muscle mass starts to dwindle mostly through, just getting through life, it's tough and especially for females with kids and work but little thing like moving more, adding in some exercise, maybe shift your diet a little more on the protein side and reduce as many processed foods as you can. It's not easy and requires some lifestyle changes but suspect you can do this. :)
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,099 Member
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    This really is a conversation to have with your doctor. Describing yourself as extremely thin and eating 1200 or fewer calories really is textbook eating disorder. Unless you have cancer. Either of which necessitates a doctor's help.

Subjective.... She could be a slight build female who is inactive. A moderate calorie deficit could be 1200 cals. Besides humans are horrid at counting calories. People usually underestimate.
    Corina1143 wrote: »
    Stress eat healthier. Doesn't have to be perfect today. Just start where you are. Add some healthy foods tomorrow. That will squeeze out some bad things there isn't room for. Try to make every day better than the day before, every week better than the week before.

What you said Auntie..... And yes increased fiber. Helps pull that cholesterol out... Wink wink....
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,737 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

Subjective.... She could be a slight build female who is inactive. A moderate calorie deficit could be 1200 cals. Besides humans are horrid at counting calories. People usually underestimate.
    Corina1143 wrote: »

What you said Auntie..... And yes increased fiber. Helps pull that cholesterol out... Wink wink....

Yes, it can be subjective. She originally described herself as very thin, as I specified in that statement. She later corrected herself and said she *used to be*, which makes a big difference. Frankly, I rarely believe people when they say how many calories they are eating.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 1,313 Member
    So I am new to all this and I can easily keep my calories to 1200 (usually way less) especially when I add in all my exercise. BUT….my LDL cholesterol is high and it appears SO many things have sugar and I go over that in my goals….any suggestions on what to have to lower my cholesterol & sugar?

I was always so extremely thin I never had to “watch what I ate” so trying to learn healthy choices has been difficult.

Re sugar— do you track added sugar? Fruits and veg already have sugar.. so maybe start with limiting added sugar. (ie, pastries, cereals, snacks, packaged food)

I’ll also add - for cholesterol - limit saturated fat and alcohol.

There are also some interesting studies that dark leafy greens (which contain carotenoids, good for cardiac health -also have protective benefits against cholesterol.) check out NHS website.

When I was in India - basil was added to smoothies for cholesterol lowering diet aid as well. (Greens! 😉) when I came home I read about basil containing xenoyl, which breaks down cholesterol.

• Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 503 Member
    She recommended less meat... I have beefed up my fruit intake.
    This choice of words is humorous to me :)

As far as sugar- my approach is to cook more so Im not eating packaged foods with added sugar. They're always sneaking extra sugar into things. It's cheap, has some preservation properties, and some people think it improves the flavor of everything.

• Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,489 Member
    edited September 3
    She recommended less meat... I have beefed up my fruit intake.
    This choice of words is humorous to me :)

As far as sugar- my approach is to cook more so Im not eating packaged foods with added sugar. They're always sneaking extra sugar into things. It's cheap, has some preservation properties, and some people think it improves the flavor of everything.

So true. I love sugar. It makes dessert so good! But don't put it in my beans. And leave it out of my spaghetti sauce--tomatoes and caramelized onions have such a good naturally sweet taste. Don't hide it under a cup of sugar! I could preach on this subject for hours. No sugar on my lettuce! Or celery! Or
    just everything!
  • jess2023mac
    jess2023mac Posts: 41 Member
    Is your cholesterol issue hereditary? I didn't read everything completely but diet/exercise can only do so much if it 'runs in the family'. I had a neighbor who had very high cholesterol due to genertics; even his doctor told him he was the fittest unhealthy person he knew. :/
  • xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 213 Member
    Increasing fiber can also help lower cholesterol. It sequesters the cholesterol from bile and causes it to leave your body in stool. Try oat bran, whole grains, sweet potatoes, beans, lentils, etc. Definitely avoid cheese, full fat dairy products, and any kind of creamer for coffee.