Preparing for my friend's wedding

Have you ever tried to improve yourself for a special occasion? Every time I have a wedding, a birthday, or a beach day, I put myself in a situation where I get low my calories, or I exercise, or I try pills or whatever is going to help me feel better. and then one day I get tired and overeat, which makes me go back to the beginning.
How do you do it? How do you keep your goal in mind? how do you make it?
Is anyone in the same position?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    We're all different, but no, I wouldn't try to improve myself for an event or occasion. I'm too selfish (and hedonistic, i.e., pleasure-oriented) for that.

I don't think weight loss or fitness improvement, or even appearance improvement, are quick projects with an end date. I think they're a long-term commitment to myself, in order to be healthier and happier day in and day out. (If I were appearance oriented, which I'm not, that would be the same: It'd be about looking good every day, not for some event.)

Somewhere along the line, it clicked for me, way down deep in my gut: Future me is only going to be healthy and happy if current me makes decisions that set that up to happen. As a hedonist, I need current pleasure, i.e., tasty food and fun activities, but I can find ways to achieve that that set up more happiness for my future self, too. It's kind of about balance of current and future happiness, not about maximum happiness now in ways that makes my future more miserable.

Maybe that's just me. We're all unique individuals, after all.

Best wishes for finding your personal solution: It takes some self-examination, but in my experience the results are very much worth the effort!