How do I adjust my calories when breastfeeding?

I can’t seem to find an I’m breastfeeding option and I know it’s not considered safe for me to eat less than 1800 or lose more than one pound per week but I can’t seem to adjust that on here

Answers

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    You can do a variety of things. None of them should be done unless in consultation with your medical team. If you've recently given birth, you're still healing, and that requires extra calories (and good nutrition). Obviously, as you know, breastfeeding also requires extra calories, and I'm sure you wouldn't want to risk your milk supply.

You can set your calorie goal in MFP manually in the Goals area. (Like I said, work with your doctor and maybe a registered dietitian to know what it should be when breastfeeding.)

If it were me, I wouldn't even try to lose weight for a fair while after giving birth, at least until the acute phase of healing is past, unless my doctor ordered me to lose. Beyond that, some women here set their calorie level to "maintain weight" as a goal, and let the breastfeeding create a calorie deficit. Whether that's right for you or not, and when . . . well, medical team advice.

Best wishes!