Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Breaking the cycle

Hi everyone! 36F here and really ready for this to be my last attempt at losing weight. Goal is 20 lbs. I’m focusing a lot on building positive habits and consistency for a permanent change.

It makes me so sad when I look at my beautiful mother and grandmother who have both been unhappy with their weight for my entire life. I see myself in the same cycle, having been very self-conscious about my body since I was a child and constantly feeling the need to lose weight. I’d love to break a cycle before I pass it down to another generation.

I know that there’s also work I can do here beyond dropping pounds (mental health)… it’s all part of the process.

Anyway, let’s do this! Enough wasting time feeling sorry for myself and crying over how I look… I’d rather spend my time, energy, and brain power on better things! 💪

Replies

• withlovemags
    withlovemags Posts: 3 Member
    Hi, 33F here! I love your story and can absolutely relate! My mom is so hard on herself and hearing her speak so negatively about how she looks breaks my heart, but I know I do the same thing to myself.

I've been VERY inconsistently trying to get back to my fitness journey and today is actually the day I'm resetting and recommitting myself to getting to a place where I feel comfortable in my own skin.

Wishing you all the best on your journey! You've got this! :)<3
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,636 Member
    Hello, and welcome!

Focusing on habits, and making permanent changes, sounds pretty perfect. The psychological side of things can be challenging - that concept of valuing current self enough to invest in positive change, for example. For me, it helped to viscerally recognize that current-me is determining whether future-me will be happy and healthy, via the decisions I make now.

Wishing you success!