When do you adjust your daily caloric intake?

I am intermittent fasting (16/8) and following a calorie deficit “diet”. I am trying to lose 50lbs total. After 3 weeks, I’ve lost 8 pounds.

When do you adjust your daily caloric intake? 5 votes

After you’re no longer losing weight
60% 3 votes
After a certain amount of weight lost (ex: 10lbs)
40% 2 votes
After every pound lost
0% 0 votes

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    edited August 30
    If I had 50 pounds to lose (which I used to, but don't anymore), I'd adjust my calorie goal UPWARD if I kept losing over 2.5 pounds per week on average for another couple of weeks. That fast a weight loss might be OK for someone over 300 pounds, but it will be hard to sustain (and hard to get adequate nutrition) if 50 pounds is all there is to lose. (I lost too fast by accident at first, got weak and fatigued, then it took multiple weeks to recover normal strength and energy. No one needs that!)

Along the way, I mostly adjusted calorie goal upward (to lose slower). I figured it was OK to lose a bit faster when I had plenty to lose, but I slowed it down as I got lighter and had less excess fat. Toward the very end, like the last 10 pounds, it was intentionally half a pound a week or slower.

We do need fewer calories as we get lighter, so if weight loss is slowing down too much (like slower than 0.5% of current weight lost per week), then it can make sense to re-evaluate and lower calorie intake.

I prefer to make decisions about weight loss rate based on average loss over 4-6 weeks, not shorter periods (since those can be distorted by water retentions shifts). I'm in menopause; if I still had monthly cycles, I'd want to gauge average weight loss by comparing bodyweight at the same relative point in at least two different monthly cycles.

Fast weight loss is tempting, but I think it can be a trap. It's hard to stick with, it increases health risks, it has less likelihood of teaching us new long-term eating and activity habits to stay at a healthy weight, and more.

Best wishes for success: In my experience, the rewards are worth the effort!
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,726 Member
    edited August 30
    Adjust calorie intake to take into account lower body weight/ lower calorie needs: every 10lbs or so. MFP doesn't do that automatically by the way, you'll need to go through the guided setup again to get the new number. (It won't be hugely different, but it does add up after a while - the first time I updated my calorie goal, when I became aware of this issue of not updating automatically, my goal dropped 150kcal in one go)
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,133 Member
    Probably half of your 8 lbs was water.

Adjusting down every 10 lbs is generally the norm. How much is an individual decision. Sometimes less weight and you end up being somewhat more active during the day so as long as you’re still losing at your target amount there is no reason to lower calories
  • gabriellebelmore
    gabriellebelmore Posts: 8 Member
    Okay, new to all of this. I logged my food which I thought I was being really healthy but found out I’m eating 4 times what I should be😳. I don’t understand any of this?? Any advice is helpful.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    Okay, new to all of this. I logged my food which I thought I was being really healthy but found out I’m eating 4 times what I should be😳. I don’t understand any of this?? Any advice is helpful.

It would be better to start your own thread and provide some details, such as your calorie goal and what you ate that surprised you how many calories it was.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,133 Member
    too many calories can be gotten from “healthy” food as well as “unhealthy “ food. Many foods considered healthy contain high calorie amounts.

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,333 Member

well, good job logging your food.

Now, eat less of it.