Newbie introducing myself

fyfiefm
fyfiefm Posts: 1 Member
Hi
I've just had my 69th birthday and I am starting my weight reduction program and hope to drop from 66kgs to about 45kgs. before the end of the year.
I am a sugar addict so it's gonna be hard to begin with.
I live in Edinburgh Scotland not known for its warm sunny climate lol . This sometimes makes it difficult to avoid comfort eating.
cheers
Fyfiefm

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    Hello, and welcome!

I'm 68, been hanging around here for around 9 years, year of loss (around 23kg), maintenance since.

One thing that helped me reduce sugar cravings was making it a point to eat more fruit, like 3 servings per day or more for a while. It took some willpower for a short number of weeks, but my cravings - especially evening cravings - for baked goods, candy, etc. became more manageable. It doesn't work for everyone, but I've seen some other people say similar.

Other things to consider: Improving sleep quality/quantity. (Sugar is energy, and fatigue makes the body seek energy.) Getting enough protein (which many our age don't) and other good nutrition. (Sometimes cravings result from sub-ideal nutrition, and we don't always crave what we're short on.)

If you experiment, I'm betting you can figure out some good strategies that will help. Many of us find that some foods are triggering, and we just can't have them in the house. (Or, if a spouse or partner still eats them, they can maybe go inside a cupboard out of view, and we can train ourselves to think of them as "not my food" ;) .) However, if there are treats a person can successfully eat in moderation, there's no reason to cut them out 100%. Doing that - having small treats, in calorie-appropriate servings - helps some people, too.

Best wishes for success: The results are very much worth the effort, in my experince!