Sadness

I have been working out six days a week and watching my calories and on average I walk 15000 steps a day and still no weight loss. I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism in July and saw a a few lbs come off but they came back and I'm all discouraged now.

Replies

• SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 301 Member
    edited August 31
    Weight loss requires that you eat less calories than you burn. Exercise helps, but it's only half of the equation.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,333 Member
    The good news is that you now have one known factor in your weight gain.

Are you now on the levothyroxine? I've been on it for a few decades and my weight stays under control by eating the right amount of food, and I'm on the high end for calorie intake (around 2300 for a 70 year old female.)

I believe it takes a while for levothyroxine to stabalize your TSH levels. You were probably told to come back for follow-up labs in three months (?)

Stay the course.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,187 Member
    Can you explain what you mean by "watching my calories"?
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,099 Member
    csplatt wrote: »
    Can you explain what you mean by "watching my calories"?

Yes, my thoughts. Unless weighing and measuring everything, I mean everything. Watching your calories is extremely subjective. Maybe a thought. There is much talk about your relationship with food. I mean I like to eat mine, but I guess I could take it to a movie first 😉. If you don't have an education on nutrition, I would suggest learning. Learn about portion sizes and what's in what you eat. Then maybe clean up the diet. If weight loss doesn't start, or it's not to your liking, then break out that kitchen scale, cups, and spoons and get to work. Good luck to op. 😁
  • Archnajain
    Archnajain Posts: 2 Member
    I do that. I have lost forty pounds twice watching my calories and exercising, but this doesn't seem to be happening now. Idk what to do.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,242 Member
    Archnajain wrote: »
    I do that. I have lost forty pounds twice watching my calories and exercising, but this doesn't seem to be happening now. Idk what to do.

Eat less.
  • cmriverside
    edited September 1
    Archnajain wrote: »

Are you on the medication for low thyroid? You're going to need to take it. . .and then give it time. You were just diagnosed in July, right? It might take several more months before your medication is dialed in at the right amount and your body catches on. Keep your blood test appointments.

I was diagnosed probably thirty years ago. I lose weight as expected when my medication is dosed correctly but I would warn that some regular doctors don't pay as much attention as they probably should. Is it possible for you to get a referral to an endocrinologist?

Just keep doing the next right thing, eat at a reasonable level and take walks or exercise in some way.
  • cmriverside
    Coming back to add a few thoughts.

Sadness is the title of the thread. Hypothyroidism messes with everything, including mood.

The medication will help this, but I'd also say once again - it takes time. Six weeks is not enough time.

Maybe there is something else going on, but maybe not. Have you had your Vitamin D levels checked? What about depression screening? The body weight is one thing that is directly affected by low thyroid levels, but so are other body systems. When my levothryoxine needs to be adjusted I can usually tell by my anxiety or weight gain/loss. It takes a long time to figure that out, though. Years, not weeks.

It is now a fact of life for you. Weight loss is possible, it's not hard at all when calories and medication are in line.