Best Dietary Plan for Arthritis (Inflammation)

66 year old long time user of MFP. I went from 183 in 2019 down to 150 over a course of 2 years. I now stay between 143-149. Female, missed that.
I have Arthritis in several places. Have surgery scheduled for wrist in September and shoulder in October.
I want to postpone surgeries and change diet to fight inflammation in my body.
What has given you the quickest relief?
And what overall has been the best dietary changes?
Thank you.
Torrey

Answers

• Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 1,298 Member
    wow, surgery for arthritis? ouch! i can understand wanting to eat in ways that would help! Have you checked out the recommendations from doctors or the arthritis foundation? I think for awhile my grams did medicines that reduced inflammation but it was hard on her tummy.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,157 Member
    I'm on a ketogenic diet and originally it was for a few health issues where the keto diet seemed to help and almost all people on keto have confirmed that joint pain is reduced or gone completely and the literature confirms this for most studies, some not so much. For me, it cleared up completely. This may not work for you or you may find this diet to drastic a measure, it's really up to you and how you weight your comfort zone and health. Keep in mind for many people with joint pain it's basically a symptom of chronic inflammation, which is a pretty common one at that, and when you remove carbs that situation reverses (lowers inflammation) and keto been one of the most aggressive diets for removing carbs, works well, with the exception of the carnivore diet, where joint pain reduction is a given. I can get into more science if you like, but that's the gist. It's a head spinner for most people but it does work. imo