Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Introduction

Hey everyone, I am new here. I was told I have type 2 diabetes. If anyone has recipes that could assist me with this diet change it would be greatly appreciated.
I am not overweight but I have a major sweet tooth.

Replies

• roderick1549
    roderick1549 Posts: 5 Member
    Hello

Firstly, sorry for your diagnosis. The good news is you will live healthier and more aware going forward.

I beat diabetes II 10 years ago. My advice is this:

Replace
    Reduce
    Refrain

I will get to a few recipe tips at the end, but just wanted to say, each person has their own reaction to sugars, so there is no blanket solution.

Measuring is key to understanding your body. I suggest you spend a few days measuring in the morning your reaction to different sugars, measure when you get up, start with a teaspoon of white sugar, and measure 30/60/90 minutes and longer if necessary until your levels go down.

Now we start replacing. Do the same measurements each day with a natural sugar instead of processed sugar, honey is an excellent example, and see how you react. Start replacing processed sugar with natural sugars

Remember to measure your reaction to starches and legumes too, this you don‘t need to do in the morning, just 30/60/90 after a meal

Once you have replaced sugars you need to reduce, this is often done starting with tea or coffee and working your way through yoghurts and other items. If you crave a snickers, try a banana, compare the nutritional values, even plain yoghurt with banana slices, sprinkled nuts and drizzled honey will kick the crap out of a snickers bar

Over time this replace and reduce method weans you off sugar

Drinkks? Chip lemon and cucumber into a pitcher and add water, tastes like sprite

Some recipe ideas
    Banana oat pancakes
    Make your own reduced fruits -> put berries with sime water in a pot, simmer and as it reduces it gets sweeter as it concentrates, this again is great to spoon on yoghurt or other foods
    Like apple pie? Slice apples, arrange with a bit of butter and spices in a pan to form a tartlette, cover with a tortilla. Once caramelized flip so the tortilla cooks and you have a great tarte tatain alternative.

Also when indulging in sugars mix as much fibre in as you can, that helps break down sugars, thats why fruit, while still sugar, is usually ok

Remember to constantly measure but i believe even the first step of replacing will show some results

All the best
    Roderick