cardio before weights? weights before cardio?

Options
2»

Replies

• DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I love to run and lift weights so alternating the days I run and lift works for me.

M- Circuit training w/ weights @ home
    T- Cardio @ the gym (Running 3 to 4 miles, Stairmaster, small leg weight circuit in between)
    W- Monster lower body workout w/ weights @ the gym
    T- Cardio @ the gym - Long run (6miles), small leg weight circuit
    F- Upper body workout w/weights @ the gym or Bikram Yoga
    S- Circuit training w/weights @ home
    S- Circuit training w/weights @ home

Another thing I do when I lift weights in the gym which really helped me to push past a plateau was after completing a circuit, I'll run for two minutes on the treadmill to keep my heart rate up and then move on to the next circuit.

I think it's better to do one in the morning and the other in the evening, if you've got the energy:wink: or totally devote an entire day to one and alternate them.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I do cario and weights on different days. 3 days cardio, 3 days weights.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    So much information, much of it conflicting! But thank you for all your input. It gives me a lot to think about. For now I'm happy with my routine...cardio 5X/wk weights 2 or 3x/wk and fitting it in wherever I can. There are only so many hours in a day! For now, I'm enjoying my wine. :drinker:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    cardio after weights. only moderate cardio. Weights or intense cardio will burn into your glycogen which can last only 30-40 mins. after that you start burning muscle. so if burn all your glycogen doing weights then after do moderate cardio which will cut into your fat you will burn fat. if you do intense cardio after weights you will burn muscle. if you do weights after intense cardio you will also burn muscle.

That's complete and utter nonsense. Even if the body did "burn muscle" under the conditions you describe (which it doesn't), it would be easily replaced during the recovery process. The same goes with fat. Whether you "burn fat" or not during a workout has no effect on reducing body fat stores. Fuel substrate utilization is determined primarily by exercise intensity--you cannot independently "manipulate" your body burn one type of fuel or another. And, again, even if you could, there is still zero long-term effect.
  • Azdak
    Options
    They don't have to be done together. You can split them up just fine. However if you are going to do them together, then it's best to do some light cardio for warmup purposes, then weights, then the bulk of your cardio afterwards. The reason being is because for reasons involving both maximizing results and, more importantly, SAFETY, you cannot start a weight training session already experiencing fatigue.

I think that's a vast overstatement. Maybe if you were planning to do 2 hours of Olympic lifts, but the average person can get used to lifting heavy weights after cardio and perform just fine. A lot of the energy systems used during weight lifting are different than those used during cardio, so they are not exhausted. You have to condition yourself to that type of routine, just like anything else, but that's not particularly difficult. Too often these cliches get thrown around like they are absolute truths, which just confuses people.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    They don't have to be done together. You can split them up just fine. However if you are going to do them together, then it's best to do some light cardio for warmup purposes, then weights, then the bulk of your cardio afterwards. The reason being is because for reasons involving both maximizing results and, more importantly, SAFETY, you cannot start a weight training session already experiencing fatigue.

I think that's a vast overstatement. Maybe if you were planning to do 2 hours of Olympic lifts, but the average person can get used to lifting heavy weights after cardio and perform just fine. A lot of the energy systems used during weight lifting are different than those used during cardio, so they are not exhausted. You have to condition yourself to that type of routine, just like anything else, but that's not particularly difficult. Too often these cliches get thrown around like they are absolute truths, which just confuses people.

I don't think it's an over statement at all. After I lift weights, I'm fairly well exhausted. I can do cardio after, but it is only very moderate cardio.

On days I run, I do intervals. There is no way I could maximize my running if I were to try to lift before. Also, if I were to do intervals prior to lifting, I would most certainly sabatage my weight training.

I think it really comes down to how serious is your lifting or your cardio. If you are half-assing it, sure you can do both. What are your goals? If your only goal is to take up less space in the world (lose weight), almost anything will work.
  • Azdak
    Options

I don't think it's an over statement at all. After I lift weights, I'm fairly well exhausted. I can do cardio after, but it is only very moderate cardio.

On days I run, I do intervals. There is no way I could maximize my running if I were to try to lift before. Also, if I were to do intervals prior to lifting, I would most certainly sabatage my weight training.

I think it really comes down to how serious is your lifting or your cardio. If you are half-assing it, sure you can do both. What are your goals? If your only goal is to take up less space in the world (lose weight), almost anything will work.

As I am loathe to use personal anecdotes as "evidence", I will not cite any as "proof". Suffice to say, there is nothing in the fundamental science that says you can't do both, and I have dozens (at least) of examples of people doing long, intense, tempo cardio workouts lasting 45 min or more, followed by strength workouts in which they were able to lift heavy weights as many times as necessary, safely and with good form.

Is it ideal? Certainly not all the time. But, when necessary, it can be done. And there is absolutely no reason why someone can't do a shorter or less intense cardio workout and lift all the weights they want. The problem, as I stated previously, is the use of absolutist terms and "dogma" reflexively thrown about as "truth", when in fact they are more opinions. This is not only confusing for many people but it can cause them to change around their workouts in a way they might not like for no good reason.

And, no, it's not 'half assing it" -- although I am sure it is very important for you to think that.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options

As I am loathe to use personal anecdotes as "evidence", I will not cite any as "proof". Suffice to say, there is nothing in the fundamental science that says you can't do both, and I have dozens (at least) of examples of people doing long, intense, tempo cardio workouts lasting 45 min or more, followed by strength workouts in which they were able to lift heavy weights as many times as necessary, safely and with good form.

Is it ideal? Certainly not all the time. But, when necessary, it can be done. And there is absolutely no reason why someone can't do a shorter or less intense cardio workout and lift all the weights they want. The problem, as I stated previously, is the use of absolutist terms and "dogma" reflexively thrown about as "truth", when in fact they are more opinions. This is not only confusing for many people but it can cause them to change around their workouts in a way they might not like for no good reason.

And, no, it's not 'half assing it" -- although I am sure it is very important for you to think that.

Sorry, but if you are giving 100% to one, it is impossible to give 100% to the other in the same session. You can do it in the same day.

I have never met anyone (and I have been lucky enough to talk with actual olymic athletes) that this is possible.

I could lift after a running workout with perfectly good form. I could run after lifting with no problem. I just have to decide what is more important. Bottom line is that you need to know what your goals are. For the average person, I don't think it makes a difference. If your goal is to lose weight, anything works. If your goal is to increase how much you're squatting, why would you sprint beforehand? And if your goal is to decrease your 5k time, how would heavy squats directly beforehand help this?
  • BIRD0
    BIRD0 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I do cardio first, to warm me up, mentally (most important) and physically. At the end of my gym time, I am basically dead. But I feel great afterwards doing it this way. If I waited until after my strength training to do cardio, I wouldn't do it.
  • pierreborg86
    pierreborg86 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If you lift after intense cardio your storage of sugars will be depleted and you'll end up breaking up some muscle tissue for energy which is not ideal, If they're separated by a sufficient ammount of time it won't matter which you do first