So, I finally trained abs

Retroguy2000
Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,774 Member
edited September 2 in Fitness and Exercise
Yeah, yeah, I know, I should have been doing that all along.

Anyway, to quote David Bowie:

This is ground control to Major Doms
You've really made the grade

I haven't had doms like this in years! The moral of the story? Never train abs! :)

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    Yes, don't train abs. ;)

Train core.

I'm getting this lesson in physical therapy now. Linear abs, rotational abs, erector spinae and friends, the evil intercostals, diaphragm, pelvic floor, the outers, the inners, the whole semi-rounded (3-D elliptical-ish?) integrated thing.

I've been especially neglecting the top and bottom (diaphragm particularly, somewhat pelvic floor), also short changing the tiny ones (intercostals especially). I'm pretty good front-to-back linearly. It's not enough.

Eek.

Sympathies!
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,557 Member
    Wait until you sneeze unexpectedly 🤣🤣
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,133 Member
    Training abs is fine as long as you train the whole core also. Some proper ab training and farmers walks/suitcase carries will hit everything pretty well.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,939 Member
    Every day I add 3-4 sets of abs at the end of every lifting session, changing up not only the angle but the type of training. Specifically, the core has two jobs: CAUSE rotation, and RESIST rotation, across all three dimensions. For example, crunches CAUSE a spinal rotation forward, while a plank RESISTS bending the spine. There are three main types of rotation (listed here with an example of exercises which CAUSE / RESIST that relevant motion):

Front (think bending forward to touch your toes) - crunches & back extensions / plank
    Side (think bending one shoulder down to pick up a suitcase) - DB side bend / suitcase carry
    Twist (think twisting in the driver's seat to look behind you) - woodchopper / Perloff press

Yes, the core does get plenty of work already with other types of lifts (especially static holds where you must keep your torso rigid, like squats and deadlifts). But if you strengthen the core, it makes all your other movements stronger also. And I see zero need to have a dedicated "core day", just throw in a couple sets every day you train, hitting a different aspect of core motion.