How do I know if I'm gaining muscle?

Options
A little over a month ago I started doing strength in physical therapy(only about 1hr 1-2x a wk)... About 2wks ago I decided to get a gym membership so I could do strength more often, and so I've been going every other day(This is on top of my cardio workout). I got on the scale today and am 8lbs heavier!! It is around my period(sorry if that's tmi) and I do usually gain 3ish lbs and then lose it right after but not 8. I read when you start strength training your body might retain more water... So is it just all water weight? Or muscle? I measured and I haven't gained any inches. I'm a little freaked out about the huge gain! Any ideas?

Replies

• TX_RattleSnake
    Options
    it's one of those things, If you have to ask, then you probably aren't
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Strength training will require water retention to help repair and heal the muscles worked. Most likely you are just suffering from sore muscles and retaining water. Look at it this way, 8lbs would roughly translate to 8x3500(1lb of fat)= 28000 calories would have had to sneak past you in order to gain 8lbs of fat. In other words i would ignore what the scale is saying and use logic. You are new to the gym and strength training, your muscles are going to take it hard for a bit.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Muscle is heavier than fat and water, so if your measurements are the same size, but your weight is higher, then you've probably gained muscle. If your measurements are smaller, but your weight is the same/higher, then you've probably gained muscle.
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    Strength training will require water retention to help repair and heal the muscles worked. Most likely you are just suffering from sore muscles and retaining water. Look at it this way, 8lbs would roughly translate to 8x3500(1lb of fat)= 28000 calories would have had to sneak past you in order to gain 8lbs of fat. In other words i would ignore what the scale is saying and use logic. You are new to the gym and strength training, your muscles are going to take it hard for a bit.

That's a relief! I was hoping I was just retaining water and not gaining fat!!

Any tips on loosening tight muscles? I noticed I have a lot more since starting strength. I tried a foam roller but that thing kills me! Lol
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    Muscle is heavier than fat and water, so if your measurements are the same size, but your weight is higher, then you've probably gained muscle. If your measurements are smaller, but your weight is the same/higher, then you've probably gained muscle.

I rechecked all my measurements and they're the same everywhere. Several days ago when I checked I had lost an inch in some places from the previous time I measured but since gaining in the last few days its stayed the same
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's just retained water especially if you are sore. I don't lose much on the scale when I start a new workout program and actually tend to go up a little bit.

When I started strength training, I gained 2-3 pounds. I am only down 1 pound since May, but I dropped a size (and am almost out of another one), lost a bunch of body fat, lost a TON of inches and am so much stronger. I regret not taking a "before" picture on the day I started.

If you haven't, take some measurements and then take them again in a month. It will be a better indicator then the scale.

ETA: your measurements could be up just because you're retaining water and PMSing. I get bloated around TOM, too, but it comes right off. Last cycle I dropped a quarter inch off my waist overnight.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Although its a chance you did gain some muscle, it would be so little i doubt it would register. Keep in mind when you are lifting weights lots of things are happening. The facia of the muscle is stretching which is making room for expanding growth. Muscles will tear slightly causing them to expand with proper nutrition and rest. Water is a key factor in the healing process of muscles.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/vm15.htm
    More details on how exactly muscles grow, keep in mind its not just bodybuilding, its for all muscles in the body.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I rechecked all my measurements and they're the same everywhere. Several days ago when I checked I had lost an inch in some places from the previous time I measured but since gaining in the last few days its stayed the same

If you aren't gaining inches, then don't worry about weight gain. People see you, not your scale.
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    Yeah, it's just retained water especially if you are sore. I don't lose much on the scale when I start a new workout program and actually tend to go up a little bit.

When I started strength training, I gained 2-3 pounds. I am only down 1 pound since May, but I dropped a size (and am almost out of another one), lost a bunch of body fat, lost a TON of inches and am so much stronger. I regret not taking a "before" picture on the day I started.

If you haven't, take some measurements and then take them again in a month. It will be a better indicator then the scale.

ETA: your measurements could be up just because you're retaining water and PMSing. I get bloated around TOM, too, but it comes right off. Last cycle I dropped a quarter inch off my waist overnight.

I never thought of taking before pics, thanks for the tip! Hearing so many ppl say its just water is a huge relief!!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    So is it just all water weight? Or muscle?

Gaining muscle is *hard*, especially for women.

It's most likely not muscle.
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    Although its a chance you did gain some muscle, it would be so little i doubt it would register. Keep in mind when you are lifting weights lots of things are happening. The facia of the muscle is stretching which is making room for expanding growth. Muscles will tear slightly causing them to expand with proper nutrition and rest. Water is a key factor in the healing process of muscles.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/vm15.htm
    More details on how exactly muscles grow, keep in mind its not just bodybuilding, its for all muscles in the body.

Thanks for the info!! :)
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options

If you aren't gaining inches, then don't worry about weight gain. People see you, not your scale.

That's a good point!! I see a change in the scale and think everyone notices but since the measurements are the same, I guess it's really only me who sees. That definitely makes me feel better! :)